Modem and router issues

Un1verses

So I've been having extremely bad ping issues recently, and had Spectrum do all the over the phone stuff to try and fix the issue, and I eventually got tired and went out and bought a new modem and router.

The issue is that the modem will not feed internet to both my pc and router, only one at a time. Ordinarily this is no issue, but using the ports on the back of the router only gets me 25% of the MB/s that I pay for.

Using my old modem and router will get me my true speeds but my ping will constantly spike up to 600ms. (Unacceptable while playing games like LoL) However I'd like to note that replacing both the modem and the router fixed the ping issues I was having. Any idea what to do guys?

Modem: Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 Netgear AC1000

Router: Netgear AC1000

1) Spectrum will give you a single public IP address. If your router asks for it first then it gets it. You need to connect your PC behind your router.

2) What does speedtest say you're getting? What plan are you paying for?

3) Did you call spectrum and have them activate the modem on your account?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

1) Spectrum will give you a single public IP address. If your router asks for it first then it gets it. You need to connect your PC behind your router.

2) What does speedtest say you're getting? What plan are you paying for?

3) Did you call spectrum and have them activate the modem on your account?

They did activate it over the phone, 100mb/s I pay for 450mb/s. Ultra plan, highest plan on home before a business. Plugging straight into the router gets me the 100mb/s while plugging straight into the modem gets me the full speeds. My old modem allowed me to plug into it with 2 connections behind my router. This one does not send internet to both, and I have tried every order of cable into the back of it.

2 minutes ago, Un1verses said:

They did activate it over the phone, 100mb/s I pay for 450mb/s. Ultra plan, highest plan on home before a business. Plugging straight into the router gets me the 100mb/s while plugging straight into the modem gets me the full speeds. My old modem allowed me to plug into it with 2 connections behind my router. This one does not send internet to both, and I have tried every order of cable into the back of it.

Because you probably had a modem/router combo unit from them. The modem you have now has multiple ports for bonded connections IF and WHEN they are supported in the future.

When you're plugged into the router go to Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Right click on your Ethernet connection > Status

Does it say 1.0Gbps or 100Mbps?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Because you probably had a modem/router combo unit from them. The modem you have now has multiple ports for bonded connections IF and WHEN they are supported in the future.

When you're plugged into the router go to Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Right click on your Ethernet connection > Status

Does it say 1.0Gbps or 100Mbps?

It says 100mb/s Also, you're exactly right. I didn't specify but order of plugging in doesn't matter in the modem. It will always prioritize my computer over the router, and will not do both.

Just now, Un1verses said:

It says 100mb/s Also, you're exactly right. I didn't specify but order of plugging in doesn't matter in the modem. It will always prioritize my computer over the router, and will not do both.

Aha! So something between the router and your PC is forcing it to 100Mbps. I suspect a bad cable or something but I assume you've tried PC to Router with different cables?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Aha! So something between the router and your PC is forcing it to 100Mbps. I suspect a bad cable or something but I assume you've tried PC to Router with different cables?

Yes, I have tried 4 different cables already, same issue. But the exact cable i've used straight into the modem and i've gotten the 400mb/s

Yes, I have tried 4 different cables already, same issue. But the exact cable i've used straight into the modem and i've gotten the 400mb/s

Oh, I completely missed this.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1000-Router-Ethernet-R6080/dp/B071J24FNY

You said you have the AC1000 and I, assumed, it had all gigabit ports.

It ONLY has Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) ports. If you can return it for anything else, I would do so.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Oh, I completely missed this.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1000-Router-Ethernet-R6080/dp/B071J24FNY

You said you have the AC1000 and I, assumed, it had all gigabit ports.

It ONLY has Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) ports. If you can return it for anything else, I would do so.

Do you have a recommendation for what i should buy that's somewhat cheap?

Do you have a recommendation for what i should buy that's somewhat cheap?

Sure, I can find a few. Country/state? Any specific stores by chance I can search?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Sure, I can find a few. Country/state? Any specific stores by chance I can search?

Plano, Texas, USA

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Do you think you can find a router meeting my specs in my area in a walmart? (I want to be able to go and return my current one and get the newer one in the same trip) Zipcode: 75093

Do you think you can find a router meeting my specs in my area in a walmart? (I want to be able to go and return my current one and get the newer one in the same trip) Zipcode: 75093

Yah, I would look for anything that has gigabit ports. I would be surprised if they didn't have an AC1200 or similar in stock

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yah, I would look for anything that has gigabit ports. I would be surprised if they didn't have an AC1200 or similar in stock

All sorted. Thanks for helping me through it all, much appreciated my man. Keep up the good deeds, karma will help ya if you believe in that thing. Have a good day.