Lightning killed my PC

Lethoxx

Hello people, first I wanna say that I'm a complete noob when it comes to PC's so any help is appreciated. Anyhow, some weeks ago I was so unlucky that an actual lightning struck the house and killed most electronic devices. Including my PC and my monitor.. So I was wondering if there is any hope for my PC to come alive again. It is/was only 3 years old after all. I don't know how I'm going to test what works and what doesn't, because when I press the ON button nothing happens, like nothing. Without knowing ofc, I was hoping it is maybe only the PSU that got fried. But how do I know for sure? Also when I took the panel off, I noticed there was some red LED's on the motherboard lighting up when I plugged in the PC. Honestly don't know if they did that before or not. Never really had my PC turned on without the side panel. If you need more information, feel free to ask. I attached a few pictures of the red LED's hope that will help.

Kind regards - Emil

IMG_20200218_180429.jpg

IMG_20200218_182337.jpg

IMG_20200218_182350.jpg

IMG_20200218_182406.jpg

First - remove all expansion cards including GPU and remove all usb cables except keyboard. Use only CPU and internal graphics (I assume you have one since your motherboard is Z170). There is big probability that some of your pci-e cards makes problem. That will be good for you (for diagnose) and bad at the same time (graphics card is probably not so cheap).

Years ago lighting fried my TV card (that I don't even use and never had connected antenna to it). My computer do not turn on with that card plugged in after.

So it could just be the graphic card or RAM for example? Am I able to start up the PC without the GPU?

10 minutes ago, Lethoxx said:

So it could just be the graphic card or RAM for example? Am I able to start up the PC without the GPU?

Yes, your cpu has integrated gpu. You have connectors on motherboard to plug monitor.

Remve also your soundcard (I assume it's soundcard).

Leave ram, of course.

I looked up the LEDs. The ones who light up near the name "z170 pro gaming" are there to light up the name. They have no further meaning.

The one single LED at the bottom Is a standby LED. If it lights up it means the Motherboard is receiving power.

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

check if you can claim insurance.. that's what i would do... 

The insurance people already came and took the PC to value it. But I'll get it back when they're done and I wanna try and fix it if I can by then. Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate all the help. I will update further once I get my PC back from the insurance people.

if you get warranty claim on the pc they will keep it. as you get money for a new one.

Might be different where I'm from, because we were told that we would get all our old stuff back once they were done with the assessment.