i9-10980xe or r9 3950x?

Quadrum
On 2/16/2020 at 5:15 PM, Quadrum said:

I’m currently in the first stages of planning my computer upgrade. I do a good bit of gaming, including vr, and also do music production. 

I was wondering whether to go with a 10980xe or a 3950x

Here are the pros and cons I’ve worked out so far:

10980xe:

Pros: Slightly better at gaming performance, many more pcie lanes, more cores, more overclocking headroom, possible better performance for music production?

Cons: Much more expensive, higher power consumption, might require a more expensive motherboard

3950x:

Pros: Better for 3D rendering and other intensive tasks I might do on the side, much cheaper, likely cheaper motherboard, higher ram clock speeds?

Cons: Less overclocking room, few pcie lanes, slightly worse gaming performance.

I do really appreciate your input so that I can make the best decision I can for my future computer.

Thanks!

Actually they don't know where they talking about. The i9 10980xe is way better for music production. It's cause amd doesn't go well with all the vst. And also no thunderbolt 3!! for many  professional audio interface latency is thunderbolt really important. can't use amd. You maybe have 2 motherboards now who does. but drivers not good enough for the audio interface. And vst support with intell all works so it's a no Brainer on music wise so 10980xe. I been in the music business for a long time and saw this problem many times.. :) good luck

18 hours ago, Ognir345 said:

Actually they don't know where they talking about. The i9 10980xe is way better for music production. It's cause amd doesn't go well with all the vst. And also no thunderbolt 3!! for many  professional audio interface latency is thunderbolt really important. can't use amd. You maybe have 2 motherboards now who does. but drivers not good enough for the audio interface. And vst support with intell all works so it's a no Brainer on music wise so 10980xe. I been in the music business for a long time and saw this problem many times.. :) good luck

I ended up getting a hold of a 10940x for msrp, which was quite the task, but now I do own it. Computer is still being built but it should be perfect for my needs. Thanks for the input :)