Looking for the best preforming laptop under $700

Hi guys! New member here. I just started college after a 6 year gap year, and I’m in the market for some new PC hardware. The last laptop I purchased was a Lenovo Ideapad (I think U530?) w/ an i7 and a Nvidia card in 2015, and it’s trucked along since then, still capable of doing basic work online and some really light gaming (as in, SIMs on low). However, my poor laptop has cracks, missing keys, and is in two pieces, held together with duct tape.. making it more of a shitty desktop than a laptop.

So, I’m posting in here for recommendations on a light, portable laptop with enough power to handle daily tasks and media consumption while I’m at school. I’ll be doing a lot of typing on it, so a decent keyboard would be nice, and in a perfect world it would be an aesthetically pleasing setup as well (ex. thin bezels, not clunky in appearance). I’m gonna want to hold onto it for awhile as well, so having hardware that will last 3-5 years would be ideal. I don’t care about touch screens or it being a 2 in 1, as I have an iPad that handles that stuff. My max budget for it would be around $700, as I’m also looking into building a gaming PC for myself (I’ll be making a post in the proper place about that shortly). 

So yeah, let me know what you guys think! Thanks!!

21 hours ago, bugbitch said:

Hi guys! New member here. I just started college after a 6 year gap year, and I’m in the market for some new PC hardware. The last laptop I purchased was a Lenovo Ideapad (I think U530?) w/ an i7 and a Nvidia card in 2015, and it’s trucked along since then, still capable of doing basic work online and some really light gaming (as in, SIMs on low). However, my poor laptop has cracks, missing keys, and is in two pieces, held together with duct tape.. making it more of a shitty desktop than a laptop.

So, I’m posting in here for recommendations on a light, portable laptop with enough power to handle daily tasks and media consumption while I’m at school. I’ll be doing a lot of typing on it, so a decent keyboard would be nice, and in a perfect world it would be an aesthetically pleasing setup as well (ex. thin bezels, not clunky in appearance). I’m gonna want to hold onto it for awhile as well, so having hardware that will last 3-5 years would be ideal. I don’t care about touch screens or it being a 2 in 1, as I have an iPad that handles that stuff. My max budget for it would be around $700, as I’m also looking into building a gaming PC for myself (I’ll be making a post in the proper place about that shortly). 

So yeah, let me know what you guys think! Thanks!!

Budget of around $700 for just daily uni work and media? Plus you have an iPad so would say look at used MacBooks like the 2015 pro see if you can get one for around that price. 

Depends what you’re doing at uni though and if they have anything there for more heavy work like I know my old uni had a bunch of workstations with quadros for people who needed them. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?