Low Usage in games

yeetgay

I have a gtx 1070ti sc black edition with a r5 2600 running 3200 mhz ram 16 gb. When I play games like pubg or fortnite in the menu the gpu runs at 90% utilization but when i get in game i get 38% and it runs like garbage even with the lowest settings. Please help me fix this, i have been dealing with this for quite a long time. I tried ddu and reinstalling the drivers, the wires are all plugged in correctly.

Some random ideas, have you checked if the gpu is overheating (so maybe a faulty fan or something)? Also it might be bottlenecked elsewhere than the gpu, so check the storage, cpu and ram usage while your trying to game and see if one of them is stuck maxed out for some reason (also temperature for the cpu). Then maybe see if your card isn’t getting the power it needs meaning the psu might be shot. That’s all I can think of. 

Edit: gpu might be broken as well. Obviously. 

CPU: Intel i9 9900K Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz CL15 GPU: Gigabyte 1080Ti Windforce w/ AIO Liquid cooler Case: Fractal Design Define S Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME, 1TB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB SanDisk Ultra II, 2TB Samsung 860 QVO PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850W Display: 1440p 144Hz Acer XG270HU CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Logitech G Pro TKL Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless Sound: Fiio E10k + Sennheiser HD6xx + Logitech Desktop Tower Speakers OS: Windows 10 Home

The gpu is not being bottlenecked by the cpu they both have similar utilizations and the gpu is not overheating. Do you think it is due to the micron memory? Does the 1070ti have the same issue or just the 1070. How do i check if it isnt getting enough power?

I have noticed that everytime that I get gpu usage drops my power usage drops as well, does that mean my psu is shot? It drops to 70% is that bad?

I wouldn’t think it has anything to do with the memory on the card, but if it’s faulty then yeah maybe that could cause it. Check to see what voltage states the gpu is running at and if it lowers to a lower voltage when under load (can be seen in afterburner). If it’s lower than a full load then something might be wrong with the gpu itself or the bios on the card. Had an issue similar to this on my 980ti where it would lock to a low voltage so the card would never perform well and I fixed it by flashing a new gpu bios. 

As far as checking the psu the only way I can think of is testing a different psu, or changing the slot on the psu that the power cables are plugged into. If it’s one dodgy power rail then it could be fixed, but if your psu pcie power slots are all on one rail then only a different psu would show a difference. 

CPU: Intel i9 9900K Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz CL15 GPU: Gigabyte 1080Ti Windforce w/ AIO Liquid cooler Case: Fractal Design Define S Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME, 1TB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB SanDisk Ultra II, 2TB Samsung 860 QVO PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850W Display: 1440p 144Hz Acer XG270HU CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Logitech G Pro TKL Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless Sound: Fiio E10k + Sennheiser HD6xx + Logitech Desktop Tower Speakers OS: Windows 10 Home