Upgrade Time!

Wendriel

So, i am looking to upgrade my graphics card, current system is as follows:

MSI 890FXA-GD70

AMD Phenom II x4 965 OC@ 4.2 ghz

8 gigs ram, currently at 1333 with 9-9-9-24 timings ( had been oc but may or may not have accidentally cleared the OC in bios 8-D)

Crucial M500 480 gig SSD with a 500 gig Backup drive, 500 gig media drive, and a 4 tb NAS drive i recently installed so family could easier access my torrents

850 watt Kingwin PSU

All in a Silverstone FT02

I had two ASUS DirectCU 5850's in crossfire, each card had 1 gig of memory so i had 1 to split between them, they were slightly overclocked but i got them open box on cyber Monday 4 1/2  years ago heavily discounted from newegg.  I got a good run from them, but one is dead and the other is starting to go.  

I will be building a new system in the coming year, preferably a mini ITX based system, or Micro atx at biggest.  Planning on using either the Corsair 250 or 350D, though i still haven't decided, SFF cases are quickly becoming much more mainstream and are getting better and better constantly.  All of that said, the card i buy now needs to be able to fit in said future SFF case.  

Anywho, i would like to spend 300-350 on the new card, maybe 400 but that would be stretching right now.   

In case it is important, I play a few different styles of game, MMO's when bored, a little BF, COD, Rome II, Magika (one of my favorite games ever! Silly and swedish ftw).  I do not do any video editing or 3D rendering.  i pretty much just play games and browse the interwebs and torrent.  I plan on sticking with my current 24 inch 1080p monitor plus my tv (also 1080p) as my only two displays.  A newer higher res monitor is something i will not be buying until after i build the new system in the future, so, gaming at 1080p is my primary goal, if i can afford something that will scale well to 1440 or 1600 would be a nice luxury in the future.

Thanks for reading the post, post with any advice you may have!

Also, i realize that i may be bottle-necking a current GPU pairing it with a system that's 5 years old, I cant wait for my new build, just can't afford it right now.

Thanks again,

-Wendriel

gtx 770: well with in your budget and meets what you wanted 
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42774kr

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Yep because of bitcoin/litecoin etc the 770 is really the only choice. It's a good choice though. Take a look at this chart - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-2.html

AMD is still dominant in the lower tier of GPU's (Miners don't buy low end cards to mine) but in the mid to high end range it makes zero sense to buy a AMD card atm. IF they actually still sold for the MSRP it would be different story.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 []