Quick Question Regarding Charging

Nano Adam

I currently am daily driving a Samsung Galaxy s3 (as a challenge). And I finding to be charging it almost 2-3 times a day almost. Once in the night, once in the afternoon around 3. My usage is basically: 

- Web Browsing

- Checking Emails

- The LTT Forum

And whenever I watch videos, I usually watch them while plugged in.

I just want to know any cons to the way I am charging or if keeping in plugged in has some side effects on the phone. 

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, huilun02 said:

If battery is aged, look for one online? Li-po batteries are stressed when at very high and low charge. Avoid keeping the phone plugged in unless you are able to limit charging to about 70%

The only way that can be done AFAIK is to install a custom ROM with the feature, or to install an app that adds this function (all of which require root)

Would there be any danger for it charging during 70% or higher? 

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

No. Being at high charge just stresses the battery. When its stressed it degrades faster. Deep cycles also degrades the battery. Deep cycle is when the battery is allowed to drain to something very low (like 15% or lower). The worst is when the battery goes totally flat.

For example I had an old Xiaomi RN3 used as a wifi adapter for one of my computers. It was permanently attached via USB with tethering enabled to share internet access. This meant it would be charging all the time. It would basically be at 100% and trickle charging all the time when the computer was running. In less than a year the battery started swelling up and it bent the whole phone to the point where along the long edge of the screen it was lifted off the frame at the middle part. Taking it off the cable it would rapidly lose charge down to 20% without having done anything.

Now its been replaced with another phone that is rooted and running Battery Charge Limit. I have set it up such that stops charging at 70% and will only resume charging below 55%. Been a year and a half and no signs of bloating or extraordinary battery degradation.

There is no danger to charging to 100% and trickle charging. The battery basically degrades faster. Yes, this is also the case for overnight charging.

Thanks.