System Won't Power, qcode 00

FloraCatz
Go to solution Solved by FloraCatz,

Ok, managed to root cause this. The problem was caused by my DisplayPort cable. I got hit by the pin 20 problem.

The problem didn't show up at 1st because I had tested my computer on a workbench had an older monitor that was just DVI. So when I tested it and figured It had worked, I'd bring it back to my desk and use the computer for a few hours and then trigger the bug. RIP.

I just put together a new build and things were initially working fine for the first few hours. After that shutting down or entering sleep mode would cause the system to enter a state where it would not boot. The motherboard shows a qcode 00, touch either the power button on the motherboard doesn't have any effect, as in no lights turn on, it's just stuck that state.

The only thing that I found that gets it to a boot able state after this happens is re seating one of either the emory / CPU / or GPU. Obviously not a long term solution, but it does get my system to up and running. When the system is running everything is working correctly, there are no stability issues. I did have limited success in re-seating the CPU, the issue went away for a short while (a few hours, on the work bench) and then came back. I was careful the follow the instructions to correctly install the CPU using the supplies torque wench.

Parts List

• AMD Threadripper 3960x
  • ASUS Prime TRX40-pro (Bios Version 0702)
  • 64GB of Corsair 3200 LPX ram
  • Corsair AX850
  • Geforce 1080 Founder's Edition
  • 2x WD black NVEe 500GB
  • Noctua NH-U14S

What I have Tried

• Bios Update (works in qcode 00 state,didn't help)
  • Bios reset / CMOS batter pull
  • Different OS (Ubuntu shows same issue)
  • Booting from SATA Drives vs NVMe
  • Different Graphics card (5700xt)
  • Leaving the system unplugged over night
  • Checked the connections to the power supply

My only guess of the next steps would be to get a replacement motherboard, maybe it's defective. Or maybe re-seating the CPU again, but I have limited thermal paste so I have held off until more paste arrives.

Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, managed to root cause this. The problem was caused by my DisplayPort cable. I got hit by the pin 20 problem.

The problem didn't show up at 1st because I had tested my computer on a workbench had an older monitor that was just DVI. So when I tested it and figured It had worked, I'd bring it back to my desk and use the computer for a few hours and then trigger the bug. RIP.