Is my GPU dead?

darkrose

I was playing a game, then my pc suddenly showed a bunch of vertical grey lines and crashed. When I restarted my pc, I see the blue windows logo and then it just shows a black screen and I can't do anything. I can boot into bios and see the screen and was even able to factory reset and get into desktop with nothing installed, but once windows installs the drivers my screen immediately goes black and stays like that even when I reboot. In the device manager I see that it's using Microsoft basic display adapter drivers and when I try to install amd drivers it goes black.  I did OC the gpu core clock 900 to 920mhz and memory 1200 to 1300mhz and also the power limit to 5%. I never touched the voltage. I have gotten the grey vertical lines before due to unstable oc but was able to reboot fine but this time it just stays on a black screen. This is an old pc and I had it for years and never had any issue with it until now. 

Things I tried so far:

Replugging gpu, cables

Factory reset windows

Plugging gpu into a different slot

Resetting cmos

MOBO: MSI 970A-G43
CPU: AMD FX 4300

RAM:8 GB
GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7850
PSU: Corsair 600w

Damn sorry to hear that, im not sure if it's dead so wait for others to answer, but i'd say you should not overclock it straight to almost a ghz because temps get too high and the card gets unstable. 

Just now, RexxBuildz said:

Damn sorry to hear that, im not sure if it's dead so wait for others to answer, but i'd say you should not overclock it straight to almost a ghz because temps get too high and the card gets unstable. 

You also have a very overkill power supply ?

31 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

can you get into bios?

Yes, I can boot into bios and i also get to the windows factory reset screen where you see all the drives etc... but once windows finish setting up and I get to the desktop and windows finds and installs my drivers it just goes straight to a black screen.

30 minutes ago, RexxBuildz said:

Stock is 900mhz and memory 1200mhz so I only increased core cook by 20 and memory by 100

8 hours ago, darkrose said:

Stock is 900mhz and memory 1200mhz so I only increased core cook by 20 and memory by 100

Try resetting the oc and try booting again

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

20 hours ago, Srijan Verma said:

Try resetting the oc and try booting again

I factory reset my pc so that should have reset the oc on my gpu. Every time I try installing the gpu drivers the screen just goes black and I can't do anything.

On 12/28/2019 at 6:22 PM, darkrose said:

I was playing a game then my pc suddenly showed a bunch of grey lines and crashed. When I restarted my pc, I see the blue windows logo and then it just shows a black screen and I can't do anything. When I restart I can boot into bios and see the screen and was even able to factory reset and get into desktop with nothing installed, but once windows installs the drivers my screen immediately goes black and stays like that even when I reboot. I did OC the gpu 920Mhz core clock and memory 1300mhz This is a old pc and I had it for years and never had any issue with it until now.

MOBO: MSI 970A-G43
CPU: AMD FX 4300

RAM:8 GB
GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7850
PSU: Corsair 600w

Try move the GPU into a different slot on your motherboard if you can. Could help the the situation.

Contact the company and get warranty service if you still have it. Hardware issues are tricky, could be anything.  

nevermind its too old.  

On 12/28/2019 at 2:11 PM, darkrose said:

Yes, I can boot into bios and i also get to the windows factory reset screen where you see all the drives etc... but once windows finish setting up and I get to the desktop and windows finds and installs my drivers it just goes straight to a black screen.

Oh shit thought u meant u oced an extra 900 and 1300 ??

On 12/29/2019 at 7:49 PM, Javaughn503 said:

Try move the GPU into a different slot on your motherboard if you can. Could help the the situation.

I just tried this and still same issue. I'm able to boot into a clean windows install with no drivers but when I try to download amd gpu drivers and install it just goes black screen again. It kind of looks like whenever you update your gpu driver the screen refreshes and goes black and then back but for me it stays black.

20 hours ago, RexxBuildz said:

Oh shit thought u meant u oced an extra 900 and 1300 ??

Oh, no. That would be crazy lol

personally, i think over time it could have just artificacted and died, if you really want to revive it, trying reflowing the solder aand or cleaning it simply