GPU not displaying on boot.

Hi everyone, so I made a mistake. I bought a GTX 1080 for $250 yesterday, without testing it. He said we could meet at his house to test it so I assumed it worked fine, and declined the offer. He said it was a year and a half old as well, he got it in October of 2018. I bring it home plug it up, it spins and lights up. Nothing. NO display at all, not even the BIOS shows up. It boots into windows I know that because the keyboard and mouse flashes when going from the BIOS to Windows. Im open to ANY suggestions. Its a MSI GTX 1080 Duke. He tells me that it was working 5 days ago and than he boxed it up. He also tells me he wouldnt even be selling it if he didnt have to (he needed money to fix his car). I already tried booting with another card, and it worked. I had both of them hooked up at the same time and checked PCI devices, it didnt show the GTX 1080, only the 1050 TI.Please give me any solutions I will try all of them. 

My specs are as followed

Ryzen 5 3600

Gigabyte Aorus Elite

16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz

MSI GTX 1080 Duke

1Tb HDD

What ports and cables are being used?  Which cables and ports was the former owner using?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

What ports and cables are being used?  Which cables and ports was the former owner using?

Im using my top PCIE slot, it worked before with my RX 580 a week ago. Im using the 8 and 6 pin power connectors from my PSU. He said all the ports on the card worked. I dont know what you mean by what was the previous owner using. I also forgot to say that my PSU is 600-650 watt.

14 minutes ago, Seth_king said:

Im using my top PCIE slot, it worked before with my RX 580 a week ago. Im using the 8 and 6 pin power connectors from my PSU. He said all the ports on the card worked. I dont know what you mean by what was the previous owner using. I also forgot to say that my PSU is 600-650 watt.

I got the impression that the problem is not that the machine is not working, but that the display is not lighting up and showing things.  That would be downstream of the card itself.

If this is the case, it could be that a port on the card doesn’t actually work, it could be that a cable running from the card to the monitor is inadequate, or it could be that the monitor doesn’t accept the kind of input being put out by the card port.

this is why I was asking about ports and monitors and cables.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Are you sure it’s getting into Windows? You can hear it through the speakers?

Do you have a second monitor it tv?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Are you sure it’s getting into Windows? You can hear it through the speakers?

Do you have a second monitor it tv?

No, not plugged in. I dont think it's the monitor because when I plug the HDMI into my gtx 1050 ti it works.

6 minutes ago, Seth_king said:

No, not plugged in. I dont think it's the monitor because when I plug the HDMI into my gtx 1050 ti it works.

Not saying it’s the monitor. 

Plug the other monitor into the second card. Have them both in and perform a clean install of the display drivers. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

11 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Not saying it’s the monitor. 

Plug the other monitor into the second card. Have them both in and perform a clean install of the display drivers. 

I did that yesterday. It only identified the gtx 1050 ti

1 minute ago, Seth_king said:

I did that yesterday. It only identified the gtx 1050 ti

With a monitor plugged in and doing a clean install?

4 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

With a monitor plugged in and doing a clean install?

Yeah I had a hdd with clean windows on it. No image. I can see it loading into windows because the keyboard flickers when going from bios to windows. It just wont show up in device manager and wont be identified by nvidia. I havent tried GPU-Z yet to see if it could identify it. In device manager there are 2 unknown PCI devices though. So maybe one of those is it.

Well your cpu doesn’t have integrated right?

So the gpu would have to be doing something if you can get into Windows with just it in.