black screen then fan 100%

Dehaka

started happening today, 5 times already. playing gears 4 and suddenly black screen and fans start spanning at 100%. did some googling some people say its a power issue, i only replaced my mb/cpu/ram last week, did not have this problem with 100% load before, dont think its the psu. should i rma? its a msi armor 1070. or can it be the mb? im worried they'll give me a really bad refurb.

Since you're on a nVidia card, did you update your drivers recently? I updated a couple days ago to 441.12 and had this issue - except it would be just during normal stuff or if my machine was idle. 441.20 came out not long after I updated and once I installed that the issue went away completely. Only other difference at the time was - due to the issue annoying me - I DDU'd the drivers and shutdown(can't restart this machine due to the NVMe drive) without allowing an auto-install then installed 441.20 once I turned it back on.

I initially also found various threads referencing hardware faults but I was operating under the assumption it was going to be software somewhere since I'd just updated Windows to 1909 and also finally bothered updating my nVidia drivers due to the recent news going around about their security holes and before the issue my 1080Ti had been running flawlessly and it's powered by a TT iRGB PLUS 1250W PSU - overkill I know, all I had available after my Seasonic shit the bed.

So I'd double check you're on the latest drivers and either install/reinstall them after a DDU before worrying about hardware replacement/RMA's.

-WM

i changed drivers after i got new mb/cpu/ram, but that was at least 10-13 days ago and all my games played fine under 100% load. issue suddenly started happening today, gears 4 played fine before today. but i will change version, current is 430.86 windows auto installed it for me.

i upgraded drivers, havent played games yet. but i forgot to mention my comp turns on by itself when i plug power in. it shuts off fine, and remains that way, until i turn off wall socket then on again. this is obviously a mb problem, might it be related? my 1070 has 1 8 pin, its rated tdp is 150w and i thought 8 pin is 150w, so mb shouldn't have problem providing the 75w through pci?

any help appreciated.

for anyone who googles this thread in the future: so i played for couple days now with new drivers i installed myself and used a different pci-e on my psu, no issues so far. if u encounter this problem first thing is to install new drivers urself, disable windows optional auto updates.

• 4 months later...

*** SOLUTION FOUND ***

I'm going round the threads associated with this to give the information that I've been collecting over the last 3 weeks whilst experiencing the same exact problem.

I started with an EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition which then artifacted (faulty GDDR6 Ram Modules from Micron), and then replaced with the exact same card, except this time it failed with a black screen and 100% fan usage.

Thinking its the GPU again, I got a replacement RTX 2080 Ti except this time it was the MSI RTX 2080 Ti Ventus GP OC (factory overclocked version of the gp basically).

Immediately presented with the same problem.

Sometimes I can't even post, sometimes I can get to login screen on windows and it then crashes the second I try to type my pin in, sometimes It loads but with windows default drivers then crashes when NVIDIA's drivers are loaded, and finally sometimes it crashes when loading up ANY game.

The common problem here is NOT the graphics card in my case.

It was the POWER DELIVERY. 

I traced the cables to the PSU and noticed the 8 pin connector wasn't fully snapped into the Corsair 550W Bronze semi modular PSU.

After pushing this all the way in, it clicked and everything went back to normal and started working.

A few things to note here - the machine was a prebuilt but was brand new, as well as all the GPU's used.

Whenever the GPU ramped up in power usage, it cut off and got a black screen, with 100% fan usage that can't be fixed unless you 

IF this is not your problem, and you have even tried swapping out your PSU then your GPU is actually to blame here.

As others have posted, either get a new GPU which comes repasted, or repaste the GPU yourself.

For me, multiple GPUs did not fix this problem.

Good luck all!