SSD locked and don’t know password

Payton.Korolyk

So my sister had a apple laptop and it was salvaged but they gave her back a 16+12 pin Samsung SSD which was wiped, i ended up buying an adapter to put it into my rig which is windows. The computer manager recognizes the drive and when i go into the bios to do a secure erase the drive is locked, anyway i can bypass this to make a new windows formatted partition?

you should be able to do a regular format from windows, have you tried?

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

Yep! For just a regular partition for Windows you don't to do a secure erase, from the Windows Disk Manager right the unit and give it a format.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

I have tried from the disk manager and it is spiting out a I/O error.

Do you have access to another computer to try? Or can you just put it back in the Mac and format the SSD with the Disk Utility as NTFS? One of the reasons why I try to skip the adapters is this, you need some driver/firmware updates and then a couple of reboots and it should work, but sometimes adapaters doesn't work and then you need more troubleshooting and so on...

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

28 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Do you have access to another computer to try? Or can you just put it back in the Mac and format the SSD with the Disk Utility as NTFS? One of the reasons why I try to skip the adapters is this, you need some driver/firmware updates and then a couple of reboots and it should work, but sometimes adapaters doesn't work and then you need more troubleshooting and so on...

The mac was scrapped from a car accident and i don’t have another computer to put it into, do you know of any programs that can’t be accessible to the drive?

If your computer BIOS allows it and sees it, you can try to format the unit from that option as well. Here are some tools that you can also use to run a low-level format:

HDAT2*
KillDisk*
DBAN*

Or you can try the built in function DISKPART to try to give it a format, do the following:

1. Open Command Prompt with administrative rights.
  2. Type "DiskPart".
  3. Type "List disks."
  4. Select the disk/drive associated with the SSD, by typing "select disk "X"".
  5. Type "Clean All".

Next, with your device clean (in factory state), create partitions and format it. Select your drive and type the following commands to create partitions:

• List part: Display partitions available on the drive (a fabric state would not have partitions)
  • Sel part: Used to select a partition to work on
  • Del part: Used to delete the selected partition

If you don't have partitions, you can create a new one.

Create part primary: This command creates a primary partition of the full size of the drive. You can also specify an extended or logical partition or the size desired for the partition using size="xxx".

Now select your partition to format and configure it with the selected partition type:

• Format override fs=”NTFS” label=”label”: Performs a low-level format (secure erase), configures your partition on NTFS file system, and sets the desired label.

You can also use other parameters and functions of this command. For example, to run a quick format in place of override, type format quick fs=”NTFS” label=”test” size=409600 (size is in MB).

You have created and formatted your partition. If the partition doesn't have a letter assigned, you can't see the drive on Windows*. To assign a letter type the following commands:

• List vol: List all volumes available
  • Sel vol: Select the volume that you already create with the last commands.
  • Assign letter: Assign a letter to the drive so Windows sees your drive. The drive is ready to use. For example: assign letter=D.

Commands sample:

Diskpart

weird i ran the DISKPART and the drive came up, after i ran the clean of the drive a secondary line came up saying the media was protected so i did a re-scan of the drives to try the prompt again and the drive was gone.