4790k Upgrade Help

SuperVegitoFAN

Sometime early next year i intend to upgrade my 3 and a half year old CPU.

I dont truly know what to upgrade to, all i know is that the last 6 months (since i got a 144hz monitor) its been struggling to actually run some games, has temperature issues, or the CPU Fan hits RPMs i dont feel are good (over 1400 RPMs with a max of 1600). I was looking for a Ryzen 3700x upgrade pack (Something they sell here. Its a cpu upgrade that includes CPU, MOtherboard, and RAM, all guarenteed to be compatible. Sometimes a seperate CPU Fan is included). That one would come with stock cooler, but my current one (Cryorig H7+, the one with 2 fans) is AMD compatible, i know that much.

But then i saw some posts online say that the 4790k isnt worth upgrading from, which had me a bit frustrated, due to the issues ive had in the last 6 months.

Setup is as follows

I7 4790k, with Cryorig H7 Cooler (Upgraded from Stock back in Spring when i was tired of the CPUs attempts at breaking 80 degrees in games). No Manual Overclock, but Turbo Boost is enabled (Had it Deactivated, and the Clocks lowered to 3,6 ghz for about a month until i got the new cooler)

MSI B85M-E45 Motherboard

2 sticks of 8 GB Ram (had 2x8 and 2x4 for a period, but i had atleast one crash a week)

Gigabyte OC Gaming RTX 2070.

Corsair Carbide SPEC 02 Case

Cooler Master Masterwatt 750 Watt PSU.

Acer Predator XB271HUA Monitor.

1. Budget & Location

Not that i think it will matter here but. Denmark and, preferably 5000 DKK (Basically RTX 2070 price)

2. Aim

Gaming and Standard browsing stuff. Occasionally video encoding (nothing extreme, just stuff like adding another language to a video file, or Subtitles to a video file. Converting Media files (MP4->mp3) and so on)

As for my gaming habits, they are quite widespread, so its easier to say what i dont play. I dont play MMOs, i dont play online (Though i have been able to have fun with Coop). Sports games and Traditional Fighting Games (Mortal Kombat and Tekken for example) arent my cup of tea either. I prefer big single player games.

3. Monitors

Listed above. 144hz is nice, but is mainly for fast paced games, and older games (to have a better experience than in the past), 60+ for all games, and 100+ if possible is the aim on that.

4. Peripherals

CPU is the main goal, but due to having the best LGA 1150 as is (or the second best depending on what you wanted, from what i could find online), Motherboard and RAM is also required regardless.

Once i know which CPU is best, i can plan around motherboard and RAM from there, if possible one of the package solutions mentioned at the top.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I just dont feel my CPU is handling itself properly anymore. Temps seems to be the biggest issue, but whenever i google "poor FPS in X Game" most of the time, the answers i find are CPU related (GTA V, AC Odyssey/Origins)

There are a lot of stuff, so if i missed something, just ask.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://dk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pxGPV7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (1759.00kr @ Alternate) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For 0.00kr) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard  (1149.00kr @ CDON DK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (609.00kr @ Alternate) 
Total: 3517.00kr
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-17 21:15 CET+0100

But is this the right upgrade? Is this the right cpu?

Should i upgrade? Should i not? Should i save and get something better? Are there something better?

6 hours ago, SuperVegitoFAN said:

But is this the right upgrade? Is this the right cpu?

Should i upgrade? Should i not? Should i save and get something better? Are there something better?

I am currently in the same spot as you, I am running a 4770 for roughly 4 years or a bit more. If you're running a 1080P 144Hz monitor then the i7 4790K is definitely bottlenecking your GPU. Based on your workload, I would definitely recommend Ryzen since it provides higher core counts that benefit your use cases while also having a better gaming performance than the 4790K. Since you're not playing multiplayer games the difference won't be that noticeable when it comes to CPU performance in gaming compared to the Intel counterparts and will be mostly reliant on your GPU. I myself have made this parts list as my next upgrade from my ageing platform 

I would recommend you opt for a Ryzen 5 3600 or a Ryzen 7 3700X since they show a great middle ground and providing decent performance to the table. The motherboard choice is up to you though. Buildzoid made a great video on X570, X470 and B450 motherboards here  and you can check which motherboard suits your needs within a given pricepoint.

So, yes I do believe for us 4th gen Intel users this is a good time to upgrade since more games and apps are making use of the extra cores and the 4 cores / 8 threads aren't cutting it anymore.
If you have any other concerns I would try my best to answer :)

The Xb271hua is a 1440p 27 inch monitor... mainly because i also like going back and playing older games (lets say half life 2) and its always fun to do so with newer hardware since you can play at settings you couldnt in the past... buuut 1080p 60/144hz windowed is also something i do (Again like multitasking)

I am more or less sold on the 3700x, and the closest intel comparison i could find on upgrade packs would be a 9700k set, which is 5790 DKK instead of 4390 DKK, which is 854, and 648 USD As of this writing (The USD numbers are just the show the gap, the actual price numbers dont compare well due to stuff like Tax and Inflation)

I would like an ATX Motherboard (more room for installation and potential upgrades), but i think i can figure out a decent motherboard without much issue

A bigger issue is RAM. I recall hearing that Ryzen CPUs benefit much more from higher ram speeds than Intel do (And after my search last night, this seems to be due to this infinity fabric thing and something about multiple cpus built into one cpu)

My cousin has a 2600 with a b450 tomahawk. The Tomahawk lists 3200mhz ram as an OC, but he has it running out of the box. id prefer not to fiddle with any bios settings unless needed, though i did activate XMP on my current setup, just to see if anything would happen, and nothing bad has happened, and google says its safe, so if thats necessary, i can do that.

But from what i can see the Tomahawk isnt listed as 3rd gen ryzen supported, something said cousin also mentioned.

I do heavily thank you for this, and apologize if i sound too green. I still feel very green, espicially on the CPU and motherboard side

My only other concern once the parts has been selected is the act of installing a PGA CPU. Ive never installed a CPU successfully before (Dad and i was supposed to build this one together when i originally got it, but he just did it himself for some reason. Same for the CPU upgrade (4160->4790k)) However i have installed everything else with my mothers help earlier this year, due to the GPU upgrade, which needed a new case, and therefore transfer to said case.

I will take a look at the video, but i think USB Ports and WIFI might be stuff id like (mainly because wifi gives more options if something goes wrong with the cable, or youre temporarily at someplace else), since i dont really play online, the WIFI/Ethernet difference probably doesnt matter much to me.

I think ive found my motherboard

Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wi-Fi Review

Now its just the ram.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at the same point right now. 
Thinking about upgrading from my i7-4790k.
I'm running a 3 Display setup on a RTX2080 Ti. (1x4k and 2x1080p)
Gaming, browsing the Net and watching Netflix at the same time(yeah I know I'm crazy to focus on 3 things at the same time).

Also, occasional streaming is a pain in the A** with my current CPU.

And with this application my i7-4790k is hitting its limit or even showing signs of dying of old age.

So right now I'm looking at a  Ryzen 9 3950x as an upgrade. 
But I'm still reluctant cause maybe I should wait for AM5.

1 hour ago, Rarufu said:

Gaming, browsing the Net and watching Netflix at the same time(yeah I know I'm crazy to focus on 3 things at the same time).

I do the same.

Sometimes when playing i take a short break and browse stuff, and i also tend to watch stuff in the meantime (Windowed gaming ftw)

I did end up finding the 3 pieces needed, though just in case i ended up going through the QVL for compatible ram and got some that fit.

As for a potential Socket upgrade (or confirmed, cant say) well the 4790k is also, arguably, the best cpu available for its socket, and it is over 5 years old IIRC:

Odds are something like a Ryzen 7 3700x will also last a good 4-5 years. But thats just me guessing.