Looking for Audio Upgrades (Headset, Mic, Mixer?)

ProfBrown

Well with Christmas around the corner, I again cannot think of anything I want that I would use that I won't just buy myself... So the question becomes, what do I slap on this list? My only thought thus far was to change up my audio set up for gaming/listening to music while I game and talking to my gaming buddies or homework buddies. I am currently running the Corsair Void Pro (not the newest one that just came out when the Virtuosos came out), and honestly, while the sound quality is lacking as far as depth of feel (seems tinny and slightly distant), the feel on my head is sublime compared to the Razer Krakens I once had, not to mention the wireless is amazing if I need to go grab some water or run into the garage, or rotate some laundry around. 

So the questions to you fine people out there are...

• Is it worth it to ask for sub $100 USD items that are stand alone like a stand alone mic, or stand alone headset without a mic attachment, or a mixer if needed?
  • What use cases would I need a mixer?
  • What would you guys recommend I put on said Christmas list if there are items worth putting on a list at all with the price consideration in mind?
  • I know I could use my current headset for the audio playback if I went to a stand alone mic just fine, but are their better sounding, wireless, just as comfortable options out there? If so what price? I feel that this would be the item left to me to buy but I am still curious of the offerings.
  • What products should I try the fit on my head of? I live in a commuter city with a couple others near by that I can go to a Best Buy here or there to see if things fit or not. 

I already have a headset stand, and I know I would need to get a mic stand or at least want a mic stand on a boom arm, but that is a cheap thing I can order myself. So please let me know, am I crazy for this dollar figure, is it worth it to ask for these items? Thank you to all those who have the time to comment!

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

After looking at some of the offerings near the $100 price point, it appears that for mics the Blue Yeti is a go to choice for many, being USB no need for a mixer and its plug and play, but reviews say it is limited for future upgrades. Looking on Blue's website they have the Yeticaster with an arm stand, the Yeti mic, and a shock-mount for a total of $200 on their site, or sub $175 on Amazon. Not bad from what I can tell... 

There was another USB stand alone mic that I saw on a few top 10 charts which is interesting, its called the Samson G-Track Pro. This one for around $130, but no arm stand or shockmount. 

Now the headphones are where I am stuck. It would appear that after reading through other threads on this forum almost all recommendations are for wired headsets. I am beginning to think I might be asking too much of wireless, unless I am missing something. Regardless, it is beginning to look like these will be gift ideas that are a bit too expensive for me to feel comfortable to put on my list.. Back to the brainstorming. 

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

My Ride:

Do you even need to upgrade anything? I can't tell what the issue or request is because it seems you're just looking to spend money on something without knowing why. If you want wireless gaming headphones you could try the Hyperx Cloud Flight. A mixer controls the sound, which I don't think you need.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

1 minute ago, food158 said:

Do you even need to upgrade anything? I can't tell what the issue or request is because it seems you're just looking to spend money on something without knowing why. If you want wireless gaming headphones you could try the Hyperx Cloud Flight. A mixer controls the sound, which I don't think you need.

As I said, I am in the spot of people asking me for gift ideas and I do not have any ideas, quite literally no need to upgrade anything in my current set up. This was just one of my ideas... Thank you for the clarification on the mixer. Thank you also for the recommendation of the Hyper X Cloud Flight, I will look into reviews for that headset. 

Laptop:

My Ride:

2 minutes ago, ProfBrown said:

As I said, I am in the spot of people asking me for gift ideas and I do not have any ideas, quite literally no need to upgrade anything in my current set up. This was just one of my ideas... Thank you for the clarification on the mixer. Thank you also for the recommendation of the Hyper X Cloud Flight, I will look into reviews for that headset. 

As you say yourself, most recommendations are wired headphones. If you care about sound quality, I really advise you to go wired because most nice pairs of headphones have too much latency to game.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Just now, food158 said:

As you say yourself, most recommendations are wired headphones. If you care about sound quality, I really advise you to go wired because most nice pairs of headphones have too much latency to game.

This is something I am thinking I am coming to terms with. I had accepted the loss in quality going to a wireless headset for the mic, but to be frank the audio quality was an afterthought for sure, and I can really tell the difference from the git go that I was missing the full sound of a wired connection. It wouldn't be the end of the world to go back to wired. 

Laptop:

My Ride: