Cheap Single Board Computer/Stick Computers?

piemadd

Hey everyone, I haven't been able to find something relatively cheap which matches this description, so I decided LTT might be a good place for it. I'm working on a super cheap computer to see how cheap I could get one which had at least 2 cores and 4gb of ram. I originally looked at the raspberry pi 4, but those were torwards the top of my price range, so I brought my attention to some tv sticks, more specifically聽this one. Any thoughts on it or something similar for a lower price that anyone knows of?

i like trains 馃檪

What about RPi 3?聽 Do you have a specific task it needs to be able to handle or just messing around?

Solve your own audio issues聽 | 聽First Steps with RPi 3聽 | 聽Humidity & Condensation聽 | 聽Sleep & Hibernation聽 | 聽Overclocking RAM聽 | 聽Making Backups聽 | 聽Displays聽 | 聽4K / 8K / 16K / etc.聽 | 聽Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme. 聽You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What about RPi 3?聽 Do you have a specific task it needs to be able to handle or just messing around?

Currently looking at running repl.it on android or chromeos, not sure yet. As the recommended specs for chrome os is a dual core and 4gb of ram and specs on the lowest end android 10 devices are quad cores with 2gb of ram

might go with the rpi3 actually, as that might work lol

i like trains 馃檪

6 minutes ago, pierom_qwerty said:

Currently looking at running repl.it on android or chromeos, not sure yet. As the recommended specs for chrome os is a dual core and 4gb of ram and specs on the lowest end android 10 devices are quad cores with 2gb of ram

might go with the rpi3 actually, as that might work lol

Just looked that up quickly and I would imagine it should work fine.聽 Doesn't seem like it would be too resource intensive

I would recommend using the default operating system though and not android or chrome OS, because unless things have changed, it's still the most optimized option and will thus give the best experience.聽 If this is a deal breaker then perhaps consider other devices.

I have a link in my sig about some basic setup for a new RPi3

Solve your own audio issues聽 | 聽First Steps with RPi 3聽 | 聽Humidity & Condensation聽 | 聽Sleep & Hibernation聽 | 聽Overclocking RAM聽 | 聽Making Backups聽 | 聽Displays聽 | 聽4K / 8K / 16K / etc.聽 | 聽Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme. 聽You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Just looked that up quickly and I would imagine it should work fine.聽 Doesn't seem like it would be too resource intensive

Since it is server rendered, it isn't really, but when you go for a few months with only 4gb of ram and a dual core, you really notice when things like chrome go full memory whore.

Thanks ryan, thats probably what i'll do!

i like trains 馃檪

6 minutes ago, pierom_qwerty said:

Since it is server rendered, it isn't really, but when you go for a few months with only 4gb of ram and a dual core, you really notice when things like chrome go full memory whore.

Thanks ryan, thats probably what i'll do!

To be clear, it actually only has 1 GB of RAM, but chrome seems to behave itself much better than the memes would imply.聽 To quote my guide, "With 6 tabs open I only use about 1/3 of the RAM, so you should have plenty of room for anything you would conceivably do on such a low performance device"

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

To be clear, it actually only has 1 GB of RAM, but chrome seems to behave itself much better than the memes would imply.聽 To quote my guide, "With 6 tabs open I only use about 1/3 of the RAM, so you should have plenty of room for anything you would conceivably do on such a low performance device"

I'll take that into account!

i like trains 馃檪