Help! Is my computer broken?

kylejs

Hello, teenager here. I have a computer with 32gb of ram, a ryzen 2700 cpu with liquid cooling, and a msi rtx 2080 gaming x trio. Throughout time I have done some modification. So a few questions:

1: I once overclocked by gpu to 1000mhz on accident, saw artifacts/screen froze, so i instantly turned off my computer. Turned it back on, changes were reverted. Did/Could this damage my gpu?

2: Did the OC Scanner in afterburner. Around stage 3 screen went black temporarily, and minor graphical glitches. Is this part of the scanning, or was something going wrong?

3: I look online at say fortnite videos/ fortnite benchmarks, with specs around mine. The outcomes in the videos are sometimes equal, or alot more. They always seem to have 200- 400 fps, while i only seem to have 240 average. Did I do something?

This computer gives me massive anxiety and knowing that everything is ok would ease all of that. So if someone could answer, thank you so much.

1. Likely not, overclocking GPU is easy and safe(r) since if it doesn't work, the game just crash and you try again. If you can turn it back on and use it, it's fine since any damage possible from 1000mhz overclock would've killed the whole thing.

2. It's normal. OC scanning is basically checking how far your card can go, so when the card reach its limit, it glitches. Like I said in 1, that's how GPU overclock goes.

3. Not entirely sure about this, but check your graphics settings in-game, the CPU and RAM in the benchmarks you see. Background processes on your computer may affect your performance, but I doubt it'll be this much. Check afterburner to see GPU and CPU utilization. If your GPU utilization is low (not sure what is low, maybe see if the benchmarks shows it), then your CPU is the limit.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person on these subjects, but there's no need to worry. If these things breaks so easily, they probably wouldn't have be sold in the first place.

Question. Why the Heck do you wanna OC your GPU for something like Fortnite? Does your Display even have 200Hz?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

22 hours ago, ruffel said:

1. Likely not, overclocking GPU is easy and safe(r) since if it doesn't work, the game just crash and you try again. If you can turn it back on and use it, it's fine since any damage possible from 1000mhz overclock would've killed the whole thing.

2. It's normal. OC scanning is basically checking how far your card can go, so when the card reach its limit, it glitches. Like I said in 1, that's how GPU overclock goes.

3. Not entirely sure about this, but check your graphics settings in-game, the CPU and RAM in the benchmarks you see. Background processes on your computer may affect your performance, but I doubt it'll be this much. Check afterburner to see GPU and CPU utilization. If your GPU utilization is low (not sure what is low, maybe see if the benchmarks shows it), then your CPU is the limit.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person on these subjects, but there's no need to worry. If these things breaks so easily, they probably wouldn't have be sold in the first place.

Thank you so much! You truly are a great person. Its just when i overclocked for 1000mhz, everything froze, I was like oh shit and i powered off the computer. Can the specs handle it? Could that do anything?

22 hours ago, Praesi said:

Question. Why the Heck do you wanna OC your GPU for something like Fortnite? Does your Display even have 200Hz?

I was curious. I have a 144hz display. I am just very paranoid about this stuff.

7 hours ago, kylejs said:

Thank you so much! You truly are a great person. Its just when i overclocked for 1000mhz, everything froze, I was like oh shit and i powered off the computer. Can the specs handle it? Could that do anything?

Not sure what you mean by 'can the specs handle it', but  no, I don't think any GPU out there can overclock by 1000mhz. Overclocking can only damage your GPU if the voltage is set to auto, which means the GPU would pump as much voltage to work super fast, and the voltage would fired the card. But cards today would likely have a max voltage allowed so it can't get damaged.

If you're interested to know why there are glitches, I can sorta explain. It's not related to hardware damage. The clock speed means how fast your GPU can work. 1 GHz means you can check the GPU 101000 times every second for data, i.e. it takes 1ns to compute some data. If you set the clock to 2 GHz, you would be checking for data every 0.5ns, meaning the data you're getting is not ready, which is why it glitches. When you rebooted, the clocks went back to default and it works normally again. (Again, I don't know if that's exactly how it works, but I've learnt some stuff that led me to this conclusion.

On 10/29/2019 at 4:51 AM, kylejs said:

Hello, teenager here. I have a computer with 32gb of ram, a ryzen 2700 cpu with liquid cooling, and a msi rtx 2080 gaming x trio. Throughout time I have done some modification. So a few questions:

1: I once overclocked by gpu to 1000mhz on accident, saw artifacts/screen froze, so i instantly turned off my computer. Turned it back on, changes were reverted. Did/Could this damage my gpu?

2: Did the OC Scanner in afterburner. Around stage 3 screen went black temporarily, and minor graphical glitches. Is this part of the scanning, or was something going wrong?

3: I look online at say fortnite videos/ fortnite benchmarks, with specs around mine. The outcomes in the videos are sometimes equal, or alot more. They always seem to have 200- 400 fps, while i only seem to have 240 average. Did I do something?

This computer gives me massive anxiety and knowing that everything is ok would ease all of that. So if someone could answer, thank you so much.

1. Most likely no it’d crash if something bad happened. There’s precautions already set to handle this.

2. It’s fine as long as the whole thing does not crash, check the artefact thing in the bottom right just ensure there’s none. X/y x is currently, y is how many have been seen on other frames.

3. Depends a lot on other components such as speed of ram etc.

as long as it’s all working as fast as you want it to, it’s fine. When something doesn’t work n my pc I think ‘ok so I’m not using higher than 144hz is it gonna affect me? Aka reduce performance sub 144fps? No? Then it’s not my problem I’ll sell these parts when I don’t need them and forget about them’.