My First Build

M_Callahan

For my first build I have decided to go the refurbished and used route not only to save money, but to build experience, before building an expensive gaming computer.  Therefore I have ordered so far is Intel Core i5-3470 3.20GHz Processors and and MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 DDR3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Z77 ATX HDMI Motherboard.   Now I am waiting for these to come in.  I would like advice on what type of DDR3 Memory I should buy (there is so many types out there), what is the best type of power supply to get, also video card that would be acceptable to this build and finally what is a good case that will not be frustrating to work in and not too expensive.  

prob 1600 or 1866mhz ddr3, just find a cheap 2x8 kit on ebay. should be around 30$

As for power supply, a CX550m is 60$ on amazon.

A 7970/280/380 (or x versions) are good for the price, as are gtx 960 and 970. 

A little more high end are used 1070s and 980 tis

2 minutes ago, M_Callahan said:

For my first build I have decided to go the refurbished and used route not only to save money, but to build experience, before building an expensive gaming computer.  Therefore I have ordered so far is Intel Core i5-3470 3.20GHz Processors and and MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 DDR3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Z77 ATX HDMI Motherboard.   Now I am waiting for these to come in.  I would like advice on what type of DDR3 Memory I should buy (there is so many types out there), what is the best type of power supply to get, also video card that would be acceptable to this build and finally what is a good case that will not be frustrating to work in and not too expensive.  

Given it's 3rd gen intel hardware, I would suggest something like a 16gb kit of DDR3 1333Mhz. I don't have any references where to look because I never needed to buy any. Just make sure you get 2 MATCHING sticks (same speed, same capacity, same timings, and ideally same manufacturer)

For a PSU, I would go around 500 watts, and I would definitely buy a new one from a reliable manufacturer. You don't want your PSU to die and take your system with it, and even worse burn your house down. A new one from a good brand would cut back that chance. I personally have always used EVGA PSU's (yes they exist) but I know Corsair makes good ones too.

For a GPU, I would go with a mid-range GPU from a couple generations ago or a new entry level card. Like a GTX 970 or GTX 1050Ti. Make sure not to get scammed if you go on ebay

Cases are entirely personal preference. 

7 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

prob 1600 or 1866mhz ddr3, just find a cheap 2x8 kit on ebay. should be around 30$

I've always wanted to try a 390X, you think it could beat a 1060? I know they were pretty good cards when they released.

14 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

You took the words right out of my mouth.  Beautifully said Firewrath9.  It will def be a fun time building it but don't expect it to go to the moon.  For that you will need a much more powerful system which I guess your saving up to get.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Thank You Firewrath9 and Calamity 1911 for your suggestions.  I will be looking into this further.  The planned time to have this project done is 3 months or less depending on each months budget so I will also be looking at other vendors like Newegg, Tiger Direct, Human IT, and Nevada Blind Center.   Human IT and Nevada Blind Center are charitable organizations that sell part and older computers. 

Thank You Turtle Rig, looks like quite a bit of consistency here which I really like in these suggestions.  It gives me a strong direction in looking for the best parts for my build.  

12 hours ago, Calamity1911 said:

I've always wanted to try a 390X, you think it could beat a 1060? I know they were pretty good cards when they released.

they're a little high on the power consumption and heat chart, but they do perform around a RX 580, so thats a maybe.

Update on build.  I am finding that if you can find new parts for the 3rd generation intel i series processors they can be less expensive over refurbished parts. (Cost in US Dollars.) 

So far the New Parts (Newegg) MSI GTX 1050 TI $169.00. NeMix Silverline 32 gig (4X8gb) 1600(PC3-12800) PC Gaming Memory $124.00. Intel Extreme Tower Heatsink for LGA 1150,1151, 1155, 1156, $29.99. (Ebay) Cooler Master Box MB600L Mid Tower W/S Sleek Brush Black, and Red Trim. 

Reclaimed from Dead Computers: Windows 10 Pro 18.99 with Digital Key. 

Refurbished:  MSI Z77A-GD65 (MS-7751) Intel 1155 HDMI SATA 6GB/ATX Intel Motherboard. $108.00.  EBay.

Used Tested  3 ea intel i5 3470 processors. $84.99.  it works out to be $24.33 per processor.  Ebay: Nevada Blind Center.

Need to wait for awhile on build due bill to be paid and the need to eat food.  Will be getting more item after 15 of November.  

Honyear Zip Ties 500 Pcs Nylon Cable Zip Ties with Self-Locking 4/6/8/10/12 Inch, Black, UV Resistant, Heavy Duty $12.89.  Amazon

LEDdess PWM Fan Splitter Cable for Computer Case Fan (1to3 Ways, Black Sleeved Braided, 26cm Length, B&F Series) 6.50 Amazon

Star Tech Bracket  2.5 to 3.5 Hard Drive Bay Mounting Kit (New) $9.66   Computer City LV, Nevada

Cool Master  R4-L2R-20AC Sickleflow  120mm Blue LED Case Fan (New) $7.84 wil buy 4 so final cost is $31.36

This is a start on my build.   Presently I am sorting out front panel plugs should fill my time until after the 15th of the month.  

My_Bulid_11-3-2019-web.thumb.jpg.b3e3b056d133a9a0cd98fbb16cd040ef.jpg

I forgot I have an new EVGA 750 watt GS power supply I was wonder in if that is overkill?  One of my relatives gave it to me free.  I am planning to add more to this computer down the road.  I would like to see how crossfire works and add more read on memory too as in hard drives.  Also I am contemplating putting an SSD in this present build, just wondering what would be a good size for starting out with. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well this project is finished.  I am very happy with the way it came out.  I learned a lot from this and hopefully the next project will be better than this one.  I will be using new part for it instead of what I can find.  I know these are not the best pictures I did the best I could do with a phone camera.  Final cost was 594 dollars what I got was a i5 3470 with 32 gigs of rams and custom wiring (the cables where too short that came with the power supply) with a 500 gig 2.5 inch SSD and a 1TB 3.5 inch hard drive.  I do see quite of room for improvement in building will be looking at what others do for cable management and do my best to improve from here.  

Computer-Build.jpg

Back-Panel-web.jpg