The Mikrotik Group

helm71

Still any Mikrotik users out there ?

I just exchanged my RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN for the MikroTik RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN

I am using a RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT hAP ac as a secundary accesspoint for the far end of the house.

I am using a MikroTik Cloud Smart Switch 326-24G-2S+RM to connect most of my hardware (with my desktop and my unraid server connected via SFP+ DAC cables from FS.COM.

This is really amazing hardware.. Would be very nice to see one reviewed. There is a small learning curve (ahum), but if you get thru it you basically understand network a whole lot better then you used to..

Are you running that CRS326 in RouterOS mode or SwitchOS mode?

I have 3x hAP AC (not hAP AC2) in CAPsMan for all of my wireless, and also using the switches in those for VLAN isolated ports. I like having one device which is both a managed switch and an AP in each location. I dislike how limited CAPsMan is compared to other AP/controller systems - it basically just programs the APs, but they are standalone units still, meaning that the system doesn’t support any of the new standards for roaming (802.11k, 802.11r, and 802.11v). There are other limitations, but that one is the main thing I dislike right now.

I have a CRS125 as my core switch. I like that it has a full (if slow) router inside, which I have set up as a backup router using VRRP. I dislike how painful setting up the switch part of it is - with the CRS3** switches you can do all of your VLAN config in the bridge menu, but with the CRS1** you are basically programming the switch chip directly. As someone with extensive switch and router experience (I’ve worked with all major brands in my day job, with much more complicated networks than my house) the way you have to do VLAN setup on this device feels backwards and archaic. The new bridge menu method looks much better, but I don’t have any devices which support it to test it out.

My router is the RB1100AHx4 Dude Edition, which has the same CPU as the RB4011 but is otherwise very different. I’m not using the internal storage capability for anything right now.

The router and switch are set up with VRRP so if the router goes down the switch becomes the router. I have it this way on purpose. The router is on the same UPS as my servers; the switch, ISP modem, and POE injector for one of the APs is on a different UPS. This way when the power goes out, the network UPS has to support the minimum amount of devices. The router doesn’t use much power, but every bit helps.

Long term I am going to replace the hAP AC (all my wireless, and convenient switch in each location) with Unifi APs and switches, once Unifi comes out with Wifi 6 APs. I will keep the RB1100AHx4 as my router. I’m not sure what I’m going to do for the core switch. For convenience I’d like to replace it with a Unifi switch, but I don’t want to lose the backup router capability. There are rumors that Unifi is coming out with a Layer 3 switch. If those are true, and it supports VRRP, then that may be an option. Otherwise I may look at a used HP switch for the core. A new CRS3** switch may be an option.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

I dislike how painful setting up the switch part of it is - with the CRS3** switches you can do all of your VLAN config in the bridge menu, but with the CRS1** you are basically programming the switch chip directly. As someone with extensive switch and router experience (I’ve worked with all major brands in my day job, with much more complicated networks than my house) the way you have to do VLAN setup on this device feels backwards and archaic.

This is still hands down my biggest gripe with Mikrotik. I cant stand how much is needed for simple configuration of VLANs. Add on top of it the various modes you need for FIB lookup and the fact that some models offload it to the CPU makes it even worse. 

I cant imagine it being difficult to overhaul how its configured. They should realize people hate it, its every other post on their forum. 

42 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I cant imagine it being difficult to overhaul how its configured. They should realize people hate it, its every other post on their forum. 

They did realize it, and introduced the Bridge VLAN Filtering (which is why the Master-Port went away). Have you tried it with the devices that work with Bridge VLAN Filtering? It looks way better, but as I said I don’t have anything that will work with it. According to this table it only works on the CRS3** series: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Bridge#Bridge_Hardware_Offloading

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

34 minutes ago, brwainer said:

They did realize it, and introduced the Bridge VLAN Filtering (which is why the Master-Port went away). Have you tried it with the devices that work with Bridge VLAN Filtering? It looks way better, but as I said I don’t have anything that will work with it. According to this table it only works on the CRS3** series: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Bridge#Bridge_Hardware_Offloading

We have a dozen or so CRS300's deployed. The filter cuts down on configuration but there are still some quirks on how filtering works that grind my gears.

• 4 months later...

Ok so I need Help my RB751G-2HnD does nothing when I setup a Simple Queue.

I have google a lot.

Always comes back to back to the Fast track.  

I disabled it under IP Settings

There are no rules under Firewall

Still no Queues

Please help

22 hours ago, Juan Visagie said:

You'll need to specify a slowtrack rule above your current one in order to perform queueing or other traffic manipulation.  

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Fasttrack

Warning: Queues (except Queue Trees parented to interfaces), firewall filter and mangle rules will not be applied for FastTracked traffic.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

On 10/26/2019 at 6:05 PM, mynameisjuan said:

We have a dozen or so CRS300's deployed. The filter cuts down on configuration but there are still some quirks on how filtering works that grind my gears.

could you elaborate a bit on what those quirks are?
we have started switching to CRS300 and so far the only limitation i found is that they can't run more than one bridge in hw-offload at once, even though the older and archaic CRS100 and CRS200 can. but i guess than can mostly be compensated with VLANs.

On 3/16/2020 at 2:45 PM, Juan Visagie said:

Ok so I need Help my RB751G-2HnD does nothing when I setup a Simple Queue.

I have google a lot.

I disabled it under IP Settings

There are no rules under Firewall

Still no Queues

Please help

Simple Queues are handled in software so anything that offloads to hardware (ie. Fasttrack) will skip any queues.

If you go to the CLI and use /ip firewall then type export you can get all of the rules being used. Feel free to scrub that of personal data and post it I'll see what may be causing your issues. Maybe also do the same under /queue.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:46 AM, helm71 said:

Still any Mikrotik users out there ?

I just exchanged my RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN for the MikroTik RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN

I am using a RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT hAP ac as a secundary accesspoint for the far end of the house.

I am using a MikroTik Cloud Smart Switch 326-24G-2S+RM to connect most of my hardware (with my desktop and my unraid server connected via SFP+ DAC cables from FS.COM.

This is really amazing hardware.. Would be very nice to see one reviewed. There is a small learning curve (ahum), but if you get thru it you basically understand network a whole lot better then you used to..

I am a Mikrotik Trainer and avid user. After getting over the learning curve, I am Cisco guy, I have found them to be very useful and versatile. For the cost it's hard to find a better device.