Bottlekneck? how bad?

SPECS:

AMD A8 - 7650k

Currently have GT 1030 want to get a GTX 1050 ti 

8GB DDR3 RAM

I mainly play games that are ESPORTS like CSGO and overwatch but recently have been playing games like borderlands 2 and R6S and I want to aim for higher fps. 

THE QUESTION: Will a AMD a8 - 7650k work well with a gtx 1050ti and will I get 60fps on games like R6S and borderlands 2 and maybe even destiny 2 since its free now?

Also what do you think is the best upgrade option.

Currently on borderlands 2 1080p medium/high settings I am getting 40-60 fps depending on the environment with both CPU and GPU on around 60% usage.

Thank you for any help anyone can give :)

A 1050 ti can give you better FPS but if it does, it's not going to be a consistent experience overall as the CPU you are using is very, very weak and will turn out to be the cause of stuttering or overall FPS drops rather than your GPU, be it the 1030 or 1050 ti.

If your current GPU, like you stated, does not even go above 60%~ usage in BL2, then you are already CPU bottlenecking the 1030, in which case a 1050 ti will do next to nothing.

In fact, I don't see a 1030 having much if any problem running borderlands 2 near to if not maxed settings on a fairly consistent 60FPS, if the CPU can keep up that is.
(I know, because I played BL2 maxed when it came out on a 660 ti, and the card was just slightly better than a 1030 is, add several years of patches & driver support and it should be around the same.)

Sure with a 1050 ti you can probably turn up some eye candy but you won't see a general improvement in FPS or framtimes - or in layman terms “game fluidity”.

Bottom line is, you need a better CPU first. I got a budget thin & light laptop rolling around here from 2014 that has close to the same CPU power of your AMD CPU - and it's just a dual core, just to put it in perspective.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

18 hours ago, Nord said:

A 1050 ti can give you better FPS but if it does, it's not going to be a consistent experience overall as the CPU you are using is very, very weak and will turn out to be the cause of stuttering or overall FPS drops rather than your GPU, be it the 1030 or 1050 ti.

If your current GPU, like you stated, does not even go above 60%~ usage in BL2, then you are already CPU bottlenecking the 1030, in which case a 1050 ti will do next to nothing.

In fact, I don't see a 1030 having much if any problem running borderlands 2 near to if not maxed settings on a fairly consistent 60FPS, if the CPU can keep up that is.
(I know, because I played BL2 maxed when it came out on a 660 ti, and the card was just slightly better than a 1030 is, add several years of patches & driver support and it should be around the same.)

Sure with a 1050 ti you can probably turn up some eye candy but you won't see a general improvement in FPS or framtimes - or in layman terms “game fluidity”.

Bottom line is, you need a better CPU first. I got a budget thin & light laptop rolling around here from 2014 that has close to the same CPU power of your AMD CPU - and it's just a dual core, just to put it in perspective.

Thank you for the information. What CPU would you recommend for my gt 1030. I can only afford one upgrade at the moment.

I don't see much reason to really upgrade your current system as any CPU you can fit on that socket will still be “crap” for gaming and at most be a very marginal upgrade to what you already have. If you can get your hands on the Athlon X4 880K or similar for 50$< then it's maybe worth it, kinda if you are really, really on a tight budget.
Alternatively you could look into overclocking your CPU, if the motherboard allows it.

Personally I would not invest in your current system anymore.
Upgrading the CPU outside of your available motherboard should set you back 300 - 500$, unless you want to buy used and that's still w/o a GPU, plus you need to disassemble your entire PC basically and know how to configure a BIOS - or pay somebody to do it. 

For 600/700$+ you could already buy some entry level gaming laptop or a pre-built desktop PC with a 6th or 7th series intel chip and something along the lines of a 1050 to 1060. Which will lack the streaming and rendering power of any ryzen or 8000 series system but if gaming is all you care abou they should still do fine and will definitely be a massive upgrade to what you are currently using.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:11 AM, LEWINFIN said:

SPECS:

AMD A8 - 7650k

Currently have GT 1030 want to get a GTX 1050 ti 

8GB DDR3 RAM

I mainly play games that are ESPORTS like CSGO and overwatch but recently have been playing games like borderlands 2 and R6S and I want to aim for higher fps. 

THE QUESTION: Will a AMD a8 - 7650k work well with a gtx 1050ti and will I get 60fps on games like R6S and borderlands 2 and maybe even destiny 2 since its free now?

Also what do you think is the best upgrade option.

Currently on borderlands 2 1080p medium/high settings I am getting 40-60 fps depending on the environment with both CPU and GPU on around 60% usage.

Thank you for any help anyone can give :)

I would suggest the RX570 instead because it's cheaper and better than the 1050ti.

And as @Nord said you should change your CPU too (mobo and rams with it unfortunately).

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor $62.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $74.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $44.99 @ Amazon
Video Card XFX Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card $169.99 @ Best Buy
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $367.75
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $352.75
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-08 02:04 EDT-0400  

If you have the budget it will be way better thant what you actually have and the motherboard will allow some upgradability (CPU and more rams).

Also, maybe add a SSD and probably a new case and PSU.

I chose USA pricing because you didn't say where you are from ?