New (Old) Build Help

So im on a pretty tight budget here, (100 USD or less), and i have an old Xeon X3470 build laying around that i plan on using, but i cant overclock due to a rather weak 400w power supply. so im wondering what GPU to pair with it. my thoughts are currently like a 1050 2gig, or maybe like a RX 460 off Ebay, what are you guys' thoughts?

Build Specs as it currently stands. 
- Intel Xeon X3470 @ Stock

- Gigabyte H55M, MATX Mobo

- 8gb unbranded RAM DDR3 @ 1333MHz

- Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Cooler

- Rosewill SRM-01 MATX case

- Laptop 320gb HDD @5400rpm

- 400w free PSU i got from a bargain bin

- Placeholder gt 230

Cheap 3.jpg

Cheap 2.jpg

Cheap 1.jpg

Joseph M. Gowen

You should be able to scoop up an RX 480 8GB variant for about $100 on eBay.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

1 minute ago, star_pilot475 said:

You should be able to scoop up an RX 480 8GB variant for about $100 on eBay.

but the problem with that is, the CPU isnt powerful enough at stock to keep that GPU fed with all the data it needs.

Joseph M. Gowen

2 minutes ago, CoggDiss said:

but the problem with that is, the CPU isnt powerful enough at stock to keep that GPU fed with all the data it needs.

That’s true. Your original idea of a 1050 or a 460 would be fine then. You may want to look for variants that get all power from the PCIE slot.

edit: also, maybe if you have left over money you could pick up a 120gb ssd off Amazon for like $20.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

Just now, star_pilot475 said:

That’s true. Your original idea of a 1050 or a 460 would be fine then. You may want to look for variants that get all power from the PCIE slot.

thats what im thinking, but before i make a solid choice i want the smart people to help me out here

Joseph M. Gowen

Just now, star_pilot475 said:

pretty crap price for a 460, or even a 560 for that matter. but a 460/70 is on the table here from ebay. and im thinking of just like a cheapo 12$ ssd from aliexpress or something

Joseph M. Gowen

1 minute ago, CoggDiss said:

pretty crap price for a 460, or even a 560 for that matter. but a 460/70 is on the table here from ebay. and im thinking of just like a cheapo 12$ ssd from aliexpress or something

Those "cheapo" SSDs are garbage,and perform worse than a hard drive when under load for long period of time.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

An RX 470 or 570 can be had for a decent price, and make for the absolute best value for a budget gaming PC

Also they can run off a 6 pin input only instead of 8 pin for a low power mode.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Vishera said:

Those "cheapo" SSDs are garbage,and perform worse than a hard drive when under load for long period of time.

i understand that, but more storage seperate from a 5 year old hard drive is better in my book. even if it is another laptop HDD or a cheapo SSD

Joseph M. Gowen

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

An RX 470 or 570 can be had for a decent price, and make for the absolute best value for a budget gaming PC

Also they can run off a 6 pin input only instead of 8 pin for a low power mode.

if i can fit in a 470/570 with more storage and a couple other misc things then i will consider it, more power within reason of the CPU is always good

Joseph M. Gowen