Should i upgrade?

AFB_MD

So, keeping thinks simple:

Workload would be some gaming (mainly triple A shooters. I'm fairly basic, not competitive, but i do like to be able to run whatever i want, with the best specs but I'm ready to compromise and go for 2k instead of 4k) + office work (excel, powerpoint, etc).

The main question is: core i7 7700 vs ryzen 5 3600 for 2k gaming.

The details:

My current rig:

Evga Gtx 1080 gaming sc (slightly overclocked on my end), intel core i7 7700 (non k), msi H270 gaming M3 and both SSD for OS and HDDs for everything else. It runs smoothly on my 100 mhz 2k ips monitor.

I've been thinking on building a new pc dedicated for entertainment (gaming as described + basically 4k netflix - i'll have it connected to either a 4k monitor or my current monitor and a tv) and idk if there would be any benefit in getting a Ryzen 5 3600 (nom x) vs keeping my current CPU, for the gaming pc. I'll eventually get an RTX 2070 S or 2080 strix (depending on actual priced by the timd i have saved enough for any of the 2) but for now, i'll be reusing my gtx 1080.

For office work, I'll use my laptop.

I like octopuses

Unless you really want to just build another living room entertainment PC, your system should be okay for a few years.

Otherwise, I would delegate your existing system as the living room PC and build a 3700x + 5700xt system for your gaming PC.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Don't know why you opened 2 seperate threads for almost the same question but, 
do you feel the need to upgrade? 
The performance gain won't be that much between these 2 CPU's , more important if you go on a higher resolution is the GPU that is working in your rig. 
If you achieve the necessary/wanted fps , apparently 100hz monitor , using your fav. resolution ( 2K ), then why upgrade. 
If you have some spare money and really want to spend it then go ahead and upgrade but then I would aim for a 3700x to have a much more impact overall. 
Or go for a better GPU first , even tough the 1080 is still a very good card. 

4 minutes ago, C17H23NO2 said:

Don't know why you opened 2 seperate threads for almost the same question but, 
do you feel the need to upgrade? 
The performance gain won't be that much between these 2 CPU's , more important if you go on a higher resolution is the GPU that is working in your rig. 
If you achieve the necessary/wanted fps , apparently 100hz monitor , using your fav. resolution ( 2K ), then why upgrade. 
If you have some spare money and really want to spend it then go ahead and upgrade but then I would aim for a 3700x to have a much more impact overall. 
Or go for a better GPU first , even tough the 1080 is still a very good card. 

lol i got an error when i was posting this thread and thought it was lost.

I like octopuses