PSU replacement on old case

Confused2018

Friend has an old(8+) year old system.  Funds are extremely limited. This old system will heavily bottleneck pretty much any gpu I get, but, they are looking for an eventual upgrade path for the GPU(used).  Problem is that I think the PSU is not going to cut it.

Thermaltake XP550 NP 430w

According to a few posts on the internet, it looks to at best rated for 350W.  No more thermaltake for me. 

This is a solid old style case.  PSU mounts at top.  The top is solid metal.  No airflow.  What to do what to do?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Yeah, that power supply won't survive a hotbox. Get something decent like a CX550 or Be Quiet System Power 9 500

37 minutes ago, Confused2018 said:

The top is solid metal.  No airflow.              

mount the PSU with fans facing downwards

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bring back this thread.  No I have not replaced my PSU.  Availability is low and prices are going up it looks like? Things being what they are as well.

The Thermaltake says 430W, but some reviews say 350w. https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/thermaltake-purepower-430w-np-power-supply-review/9/

The MB can supply 75W.  The PSU has a 6pin connector for a gpu.  If I get a GPU over 75W, will the cable make up the difference?  Or it doesnt work that way? Trying for a 1060 or something better.

Thanks for reading

Thank you Caroline.

I will skip getting a new to me gpu till I can upgrade the psu.  I know that this system is old and out of date, but I want/need it to work another year.

Thanks again.

Not sure where youre located but look around for an PC hardware stores. You may get lucky with a clearance PSU or an open box etc. PSUs aren't something I would trust used but if your budget is tight then even pull up cregslist or FB marketplace or the app versions of cregslist like let go. Might be able to salvage one out of a PC someone just wants to toss.