Upgrading cpu perhaps? not sure.

Go to solution Solved by x7007,

Hi,

a TR would greatly help you in the multitasking you are requesting. on going  9700k is fast in single thread performance more than the TR, so in a way, you will have more FPS when you gaming than when you multitasking.   so if you really want multitasking the TR is the way to go with 15-25% fps reduction compare to the fullest 9700k, you won't really notice if using VSYNC anyway.  I have the 1950x and it's really good though I could use some more single thread performance which I myself really need.

So for you I can say the TR would greatly help you in your scenario 

Hello hardware fans.

So im running a 6700k at 4.6ghrz and for the longest time i have been in a love hate relationship with a mmorpg called black desert online.

This game whenever im sick of it or playing something else i run it in the tray so i can still make money/exp for when i come back to it, however it currently uses about 40% running in the tray.

This results in me either playing smthing old so i can also watch netflix/YouTube on screen 2 or having a bad time with anything newer and no second screen usage.

Now im tired of this situation for some time now and saved up for an upgrade.

With my set budget i have 2 options in mind and really dont know what to go with.

i7 9700k 16gb lpx vengeance 3000mhz 1080ti.

TR 2920x 16gb lpx vengeance 3000mhz @ 2933hmz 1080ti.

The TR build will be about 100 euros cheaper if my old corsair memory works on it if not it will end up being the same overall price.

It doesnt show up on the compatibility list however other lpx with the same timings and speed does show up in that list?

I mostly play 1080p 166hz with some 3440x1440 75hz both adaptive sync.

Now i personally would just love more cores and i feel like 8 wouldnt be enough for both BDO in tray combined with newer games and netflix or YouTube running on screen 2 specially newer games that could use more than 4 cores.

So going from my 6700k @ 4.6ghrz to a 12 core 4.4ghrz TR would the decrease in clock speed be painfull ?

Im just tired of not having enough CPU and having to make a choice when i know it can be solved pure luxery problem and i know im a tool for it i just didnt know how to phrase this all properly its a chunk of money and dont want that buyers remorse.

Hi,

a TR would greatly help you in the multitasking you are requesting. on going  9700k is fast in single thread performance more than the TR, so in a way, you will have more FPS when you gaming than when you multitasking.   so if you really want multitasking the TR is the way to go with 15-25% fps reduction compare to the fullest 9700k, you won't really notice if using VSYNC anyway.  I have the 1950x and it's really good though I could use some more single thread performance which I myself really need.

22 hours ago, x7007 said:

Hi,

Sorry for the late response. 

Thank you for your input, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the TR build. 

I was having a hard time going for something with lower per clock performance but now I definetly realize I cannot multi task the way I want to without the TR. 

And in a bunch of newer benchmarks game wise the 2 cpus are fairly neck on neck with less then 10 fps difference. 

Thanks once again for helping me decide this was a tough call for me to make. 

7 hours ago, mebaby2 said:

Sorry for the late response. 

Thank you for your input, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the TR build. 

I was having a hard time going for something with lower per clock performance but now I definetly realize I cannot multi task the way I want to without the TR. 

And in a bunch of newer benchmarks game wise the 2 cpus are fairly neck on neck with less then 10 fps difference. 

Thanks once again for helping me decide this was a tough call for me to make. 

No problem

Other option is 3900 or 3950x  but they are new and as expensive.

14 hours ago, x7007 said:

No problem

Other option is 3900 or 3950x  but they are new and as expensive.

Tbh i had no idea it was comming up i was googling it for stores and found the 3900x available for pre-order at a horrible online store out here but at 550 euros.

The TR cpu was 360 euros but the 3900x woulda allowed a cheaper mobo going from TR [360 euro] to AM4 [140 euro] so woulda straightened out well enough and both cases woulda had a decent mobo.

I woulda gone for a 3900x if i had known it was already comming here in all honesty.

But im ok with the 2920x i already ordered its mobo does have so many options that even on higher end AM4 wouldnt be a thing till it fell in the same price category wich woulda resulted in it costing allot more in total.[more than i had]

Have you tried OCing your cpu?

I have never even seen a TR in real life let alone OC one but i do hope i can set up some of the cores to run at 4.2ghrz seeing evrything i run in the background does not need that high a clock frequency.

Maybe set up primary game running in use to be higher priority?

Running a game on primary screen while i run BDO in the tray and netflix/YouTube on screen 2 im sure the dark rock pro cooler should be able to handle a overclock solid enough on some cores for the primary thing running, though this is all new to me ofcourse seeing im used to 4core 8threads and OC evrything.

Its a 250wtdp cooler and im using a silverstone rv02 case wich years ago managed to cool a fx9590 and 2 asus r9 390's [wich wer horrible cooler wise and required a tim swap]

• 3 years later...
On 9/8/2019 at 8:32 AM, mebaby2 said:

Tbh i had no idea it was comming up i was googling it for stores and found the 3900x available for pre-order at a horrible online store out here but at 550 euros.

The TR cpu was 360 euros but the 3900x woulda allowed a cheaper mobo going from TR [360 euro] to AM4 [140 euro] so woulda straightened out well enough and both cases woulda had a decent mobo.

I woulda gone for a 3900x if i had known it was already comming here in all honesty.

But im ok with the 2920x i already ordered its mobo does have so many options that even on higher end AM4 wouldnt be a thing till it fell in the same price category wich woulda resulted in it costing allot more in total.[more than i had]

Have you tried OCing your cpu?

I have never even seen a TR in real life let alone OC one but i do hope i can set up some of the cores to run at 4.2ghrz seeing evrything i run in the background does not need that high a clock frequency.

Maybe set up primary game running in use to be higher priority?

Running a game on primary screen while i run BDO in the tray and netflix/YouTube on screen 2 im sure the dark rock pro cooler should be able to handle a overclock solid enough on some cores for the primary thing running, though this is all new to me ofcourse seeing im used to 4core 8threads and OC evrything.

Its a 250wtdp cooler and im using a silverstone rv02 case wich years ago managed to cool a fx9590 and 2 asus r9 390's [wich wer horrible cooler wise and required a tim swap]

sorry for the late response, I did overclock it to 4.0 on all cores.

you could try disabling SMT which is HT and see if you can go with 4.2 with good cooling.