MSI B450 Tomahawk - Can't figure out RGB fans

ThatDude6

I saw some good reviews for the PCCooler Corona fans on YouTube and decided to get them a shot.  My problem is that the B450 Tomahawk has 12V 4 pin rgb connectors and the fans use 5V 3 pin rgb connectors.  Doh!  

The kit has a way to be powered by molex, bit I guess I need an adapter to make that work?

Any recs for good rgb fans that work with the MSI 4 pin?  Thanks!

You can put a 3-pin fan on a 4-pin header, but those fans don't sound very good lol. I wouldn't buy/use 3-pin fans in 2019, at least with a new build.

If I were you, I'd return them. You could use them, but I feel like they will be loud and won't have great airflow.

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking of different fans. These will be fine, just plug them into the four-pin header.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I have each fan plugged into its own header on the mobo, but I can't power the RGB controller to make the rgb work...

4 minutes ago, ThatDude6 said:

I have each fan plugged into its own header on the mobo, but I can't power the RGB controller to make the rgb work...

I see. What does the manual say?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

In case anyone looks through this thread later, I have fixed my problem.  The molex connector on the fan controller is double sided.  It has both female and male connectors.  After I realized that, I got the controller hooked into the PSU and I'm up and running in full RGB :)

rgb1.jfifrgb2.jfif

16 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You can put a 3-pin fan on a 4-pin header, but those fans don't sound very good lol. I wouldn't buy/use 3-pin fans in 2019, at least with a new build.

If I were you, I'd return them. You could use them, but I feel like they will be loud and won't have great airflow.

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking of different fans. These will be fine, just plug them into the four-pin header.

OP is talking about the RGB connector, not the fan power connector.

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2019 at 1:27 AM, ThatDude6 said:

In case anyone looks through this thread later, I have fixed my problem.  The molex connector on the fan controller is double sided.  It has both female and male connectors.  After I realized that, I got the controller hooked into the PSU and I'm up and running in full RGB :)

rgb1.jfif 52.51 kB · 12 downloads rgb2.jfif 47.39 kB · 5 downloads

I am having the same issue, MOBO B450 Tomahawk Max and same case fan PCcooler Corona 5in1 kit
I am not super techy so I am not familiar with the terms and more of a visual/picture guy
Could you help me out with this, if you could send me a picture of the hub on how you managed to get it work, I would really appreciate it :))

On 1/8/2021 at 5:46 AM, gamerredmdlee said:

I am having the same issue, MOBO B450 Tomahawk Max and same case fan PCcooler Corona 5in1 kit
I am not super techy so I am not familiar with the terms and more of a visual/picture guy
Could you help me out with this, if you could send me a picture of the hub on how you managed to get it work, I would really appreciate it :))

Please don't revive old threads. Member you quoted haven't been online in over a year. Please post your own thread if you need assistance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv