White Paste in PSU

jippiee
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

It's normal. It's silicon caulk intentionally put in the PSU to keep components in place and stop them from vibrating. It's safe to use the PSU.

I've got a Corsair CX450M Power supply. I recently upgraded my GPU to a Sapphire RX590. The rest of my System is: Ryzen 5 1500X, 8GB RAM, B350 MoBo, 480Gb SSD.

Now I just realized, that inside the power supply at back side where the wall outlet is, there are two blocks from which there seems to be some sort of white paste expanding. One block also seems to have been displaced by a few Centimeters. (check the attached image)

Unfortunately I do not remember If my model always looked like this.

After a quick image search for the CX450M, I can find images of both with and without this expanding paste in the back.

What is the purpose of this paste? Is it safe to keep using this power supply?

20190809_104632.jpg

It's normal. It's silicon caulk intentionally put in the PSU to keep components in place and stop them from vibrating. It's safe to use the PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450