Dynamic IP vs PPPoE

DSD27

Hey guys, a while ago I got a TP-Link router to replace the ISP one, the ISP router is being used for Voip only. When first configuring it, I chose the option Dynamic IP. It works, but my ISP provides PPPoE username and password. So should I use it instead? What's the difference?

I tried using a Lan to Lan option with the two routers but Voip didint' work, only works with Wan on the second router (ISP), is that related?

M1minCY.png

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

VoIP is complicated, as there are various ways your ISP may deliver it and the main router may not allow handing over the PPPoE link to a second router while maintaining VoIP itself.

With Dynamic IP you are basically just letting the main router be the router, and adding a second router on top which is only seen by the main router as a LAN client, which is generally a bad idea too.  In that configuration you usually want the second router to only act as an Access Point, not doing any routing at all.

What is the purpose of the second router in your setup?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Yeah but I can also pick PPPoE and let the main router be the router? What will change? The option is there...

Edit: Nevermind, the PPPoE username and password were for the ADSL connection I had before, from the same ISP. ?

Just there for Voip, otherwise I wouldn't use it.

Right now I have ONT -> TP Link (Wan), TP Link port 4 (bridge port) -> ISP router Wan port. That's the way Voip works. I tried  Lan -> Lan to have only one network but I get no Voip.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows