New rig, can't boot

So I bought pieces to build a new rig. yay me.

Issue is, for some reason I can't fire it up correctly. Power is at least being distributed, according the the fact all fans are spinning and all leds are lighting up, but it's hard to reach POST let alone bios let alone windows.

I even find it hard to describe the issue with more details as I basically get a different bios code and/or behaviour each time I try something, which mostly consists of swapping the ram sticks around and clearing CMOS when nothing works anymore.

1/ At first when it didn't work I flashed bios using the back panel button and usb drive. E7C35AMS.120 is now the version I see when I can actually go into the bios.

1/ I tried various ram stick setup. Only one in A2 ( reached bios ), only two in A2/B2 ( reached bios ), only two in A1/B1 ( nothing ), two in A2/B2 and one in A1 ( nothing ). Various bios code, I think I may have seen them all here.

1/ Apparently getting all 4 sticks at once is close to mission impossible. I succeeded once in making them all work together by swapping them around randomly out of frustration, but I could never get them to reach max speed and was stuck to default clock, 2133. Any other setup would result in black screen no bios.

2/ Once I could reach that golden setup, I tried installing windows. I made it as far as connecting the network, choosing an additionnal language and before I could select it, boom, black screen.

From there the MSI logo would pop up, windows would start loading, boom, black screen.

3/ I removed two sticks hoping for more stability. Still windows loading up, black screen.

4/ Cleared CMOS, finally reached Bios and swapped boot back to USB first, HDD second ( why isn't that default? :( ).

5/ Reboot. Windows installation started. Before I could even choose the "install windows" option, black screen. Back to 3.

Random behaviours I noted :

- Now that I have a hint of Windows installation, hitting the power button once whenever the computer is up and running, despite no display, sends the computer to sleep, according to the bios code.

- When clearing CMOS, I have to reboot at least twice. First reboot always shows me bios code 02. I'll consider it's normal, that's not something I usually do...

- it takes FOREVER to boot up to POST. It's super slow. I even got myself some Netflix up to pass the time while waiting when I was switching ram sticks around and rebooting again and again.

Also, when I was able to make it work with the four sticks, the bios screen was actually all jumbled up, resolution is just incorrect.

Spoiler

BIOS_wrong.thumb.jpg.fb85bbdaef77949f503486b85b0e1c85.jpg

My biggest issue at this point is that I have not a single clue which component is failling. Ram ? Possible, since I can't seem to be able to run all 4. Could also be dimm slots, so Mobo. Maybe GPU since I loose signal after all, despite the bios code telling me all is well and booted up ( bios code AA, it's happening right now ).

I think I'm in dire need of some help... There will probably be RMA involved, but I'd at least need to know what. Unless I can fix it, of course...

Woopsies, should have posted this in workbench / troubleshooting, I guess. Sorry 'bout that :o

€4K and not even a 3900x... where the F do

you live having these kind of component prices? It’s worth than NL and I find NL a bloody expensive place due to all the lovely taxes we have 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

5 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

€4K and not even a 3900x... where the F do

you live having these kind of component prices? It’s worth than NL and I find NL a bloody expensive place due to all the lovely taxes we have 

Ah, it's a placeholder. Actually waiting for 3950x. Since I have an online retailer here with 60 days trial, I'll just send the 3700x back and grab the 3950x come september. I could have grabbed the 3900x for the trial period but just in case something goes wrong ( they refuse it back or I overshoot the time limit ) it's less of a money loss ( also, I gambled 3700x would be easier to sell in that case ).

And, France. We also got lovely taxes ! And to think these are the best deals PCPP could find ... I actually got the SSD directly from Corsair in Taiwan, even with shipping it's still a win :/

Nobody got any idea? :( At this point I'm even trying to lower voltage, as 1.50V in idle is apparently too much ( mobo default ). It seems to have given me a wee bit of additionnal stability but I still can't complete Windows setup. Still goes black screen too early.

While this is a recent MSI motherboard since it's x570 even a sensibly similar experience with any board and ryzen 3x may help :)

Oh god kill me.

I was in the process of re-re-re-installing windows agaaaaain when the screen went black agaaaaain.

I suspected something wrong with the GPU too, at this point, since the rig itself wasn't shutting down and the bios Code was still AA, which roughly seems to translate to "OS in session". But with 3 DisplayPort inputs and only one HDMI, all I had done so far was try different DP port... And that's when I noticed the metallic part, the actual plug itself, really wasn't very sturdy.

So I just finally decided to try a HDMI cable, and.... Lo and behold, Windows installation appeared on my monitor in all its glorious blueness, right where I had left it. Cherry on top, so far I had to deal with low resolution, deformed picture, resulting in that terrible bios photo I posted earlier : no more! It's finally in HD.

So, I can now proceed with Windows installation at long last. Maybe even actually USE the computer *gasp* !

Bottom line : check the bloody video cable, too....

Ram isn't out of the woods yet but I feel like I'm going somewhere at least.

56 minutes ago, Wolrajh said:

Oh god kill me.

I was in the process of re-re-re-installing windows agaaaaain when the screen went black agaaaaain.

I suspected something wrong with the GPU too, at this point, since the rig itself wasn't shutting down and the bios Code was still AA, which roughly seems to translate to "OS in session". But with 3 DisplayPort inputs and only one HDMI, all I had done so far was try different DP port... And that's when I noticed the metallic part, the actual plug itself, really wasn't very sturdy.

So I just finally decided to try a HDMI cable, and.... Lo and behold, Windows installation appeared on my monitor in all its glorious blueness, right where I had left it. Cherry on top, so far I had to deal with low resolution, deformed picture, resulting in that terrible bios photo I posted earlier : no more! It's finally in HD.

So, I can now proceed with Windows installation at long last. Maybe even actually USE the computer *gasp* !

Bottom line : check the bloody video cable, too....

Ram isn't out of the woods yet but I feel like I'm going somewhere at least.

Glad you managed to get it sorted and with something as simple as that! Enjoy your build man!

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD