Dual Boot Ubuntu Help

I've created a partition on my hard drive that I want to use for ubuntu. The problem is that I don't have a normal flash drive, so i've been having problems booting from usb. The only thing close I have to a normal flash drive is an external ssd with 500gb of storage space, but it's formatted as NTFS. So can someone teach me the wae?

just treat it as if it were a usb pendrive. use rufus in dd mode and target the ssd, it will just write over the ntfs partition.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's not even letting me select the drive.

What you're doing makes no sense, you've got to format the SSD to write the Linux boot files to it, why not just install Linux to the SSD?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I've tried that too, but when I go to choose my boot options menu, the drive doesn't show up at all. What is the correct format?

On 7/17/2019 at 4:30 PM, DylNicolax said:

I've tried that too, but when I go to choose my boot options menu, the drive doesn't show up at all. What is the correct format?

Check you bios boot options and see if USB is enabled.

Might want need to disable secure boot.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Im unsure of the problem here...are you having trouble burning the image to the drive with rufus? Or are you having trouble booting from the drive?

If its the former I don't know what to say, rufus doesnt want to play nice with the drive. To help you there we will need more info.

If its the latter then its most likely secure boot being enabled or a setting to do with legacy/uefi boot options. Try playing with those in the BIOS