x570 and Riser Cable?

Been hearing x570 Mobo are not working with riser cables? I want to buy 3700x to pair with my 2 1080ti's but they sit on a vertical mount bracket and require riser cables.

Can anyone confirm that riser cables do not work with x570 do to PCIe gen 4?

PCIe4 certified riser cables do not exist yet, and don't hold your breath for them. However, if it's just a GPU relocation you're going for, none of the current video cards that even support PCIe4 see any advantage from it over PCIe3.

your 1080 tis don't work with pcie 4.0, the cables will work, but to be safe, you can set it in bios for the PCIe slots to run at pcie 3.0 instead of 4.0

30 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

your 1080 tis don't work with pcie 4.0, the cables will work, but to be safe, you can set it in bios for the PCIe slots to run at pcie 3.0 instead of 4.0

Apparently there are not any options to run the PCIe as a different gen in the x570 bios according to some of these posts on reddit? According to the Hardware Canucks it is forcing it to 2D mod. I assume he means PCIe Gen 2? He only says RX5700 though so didnt know if this is across the board on all GPUs or just that specific one? I get that you could not run the rx5700 in PCIe 4.0 since there are literally no 4.0 riser cables. But does this also present a problem for everyone trying to run cards in 3.0?

• 1 month later...

I bought an expensive riser cable in October 2018 for my 1080ti and the same cable was just installed in my new X570 with RX5700 running at Gen 4. Everyone in the forum said there is no gen 4 riser cable yet, but mine is running at gen 4 without issue. I tried the newest 3dmark pcie feature test that runs at 22GB/s on gen 4, but only get 12GB/s with 1080 ti in gen 3 mode. looks like my riser cable supports gen 4 without issue. I'm sure my bios setup is at gen 4.

• 1 month later...

hi guys,

i m new here and after see the video about the riser cable limitation i find a cable on amazon saying thaht he work ( strange thing because at the moment no cbale certified to my knowledge ) what to you thing ?

https://linkup.one/linkup-50-cm-pcie-3-0-16x-64gb-s-shielded-twin-axial-pci-express-riser-cable-port-extension-card-straight-socket/

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the thread necro. 
2 things to ask.

I'm running an X570 board with a 3700X and 2080Ti. Want to mount it vertical, but I heard about these issues with the riser cables. 
Granted, some ppl seem to be running fine with X570s and these cables. 

So is there a max length that the cable runs before it starts to have issues? 20cm? 50cm?

Next, yeah our Graphics cards still run on PCIe Gen 3. So we can toggle that in our BIOS.
But if we have Gen 4 NVMe SSDs, will it affect them if we toggle the slots to Gen 3?
I have one of those Phison Gen 4 SSD sticks. 

If you have 2 gen 4 nvme ssd and do large copy from one to other pcie 3.0 would slow transfer.  One drive won't have anywhere to transfer such large file to so it won't matter.

2080ti is 3.0 card, so it won't try running at 4.0 anyway.  If using rx5700xt with x570 and 3.0 riser you might have issue unless setting it 3.0 in bios.