What is a "permanent" GPU overclock?

Sean

I've heard a lot of conflicting things on the internet about this, some people seem to say that if you use software like GPU tweak to overclock, you will have to reset everything each time you turn your computer on. They say the only way to get a permanent overclock is to flash the bios of the GPU. A lot of people don't seem to acknowledge that though and are fine. Is there any resulting difference from flashing the bios or using software?

Thanks

I have overclock my gtx 560 with msi after burner witch has a apply at start up so u dont have to keep changing it after u restart

my best overclock so far ..

2r5999i.png

I've heard a lot of conflicting things on the internet about this' date=' some people seem to say that if you use software like GPU tweak to overclock, you will have to reset everything each time you turn your computer on. They say the only way to get a permanent overclock is to flash the bios of the GPU. A lot of people don't seem to acknowledge that though and are fine. Is there any resulting difference from flashing the bios or using software? Thanks [/quote']

As Craig said, use MSI Afterburner, its the most simple GPU overclocking utility there is and lets you have a "permanent" overclock.

GPU Tweak is just plain buggy at times, don't bother with it.

a "permanent" gpu overclock refers to a factory overclock. it means that if you reset to default settings they will be higher than the oem specification for the gpu. it is a modified bios (and often some physical components) that make sure that by default the gpu runs at higher speeds than the gpu designer (amd/nvidia in general) specified for the chip.

everything else is just normal overclocking.

Why does it matter if the overclock resets every time? With profiles and the apply overclock at startup option, you get basically the same thing with afterburner.

Why does it matter if the overclock resets every time? With profiles and the apply overclock at startup option, you get basically the same thing with afterburner.
indeed, that works just fine. i think the op was just confused about what a permanent overclock was. it is annoying to try to actually modify your gpu bios so that your gpu is overclocked by default, and there is no good reason to do so. and there are many graphic cards on the market that already have an overclocked bios. but if you want to overclock your gpu you might as well just do it through software instead of flashing it to your bios. it works just as well, and the software that does it will likely be the same software you use to monitor the hardware, so it will be running anyway.