Weird Question - Idle/Unused HDD/SSD Longevity

Vectraat

So I'm wondering if there are any components in HDD's/SSD's that would lead to a slow but gradual degradation over time if unused? Say I bought a new SSD/HDD and didn't use it for 7-10+ years (yeah, I know, weird scenario)--would they still function the same as when I bought them? I would assume so. 

hdds will rust if exposed to much moister and a ssd will eventually lose data do to the capacitors running out of charge and corosion on ssd's to

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

unplugged or plugged?

hard disks have capacitors and the motor, but those dont die that easily, same for ssds

i have kept around a old hard disk and us around 15 years old, works when i connect it

i dont have ssds that old to know how they work, buti would expect them to behave like usb flash drives or sd cards, they work well and all of a sudden they die

3 minutes ago, goto10 said:

unplugged or plugged?

hard disks have capacitors and the motor, but those dont die that easily, same for ssds

i have kept around a old hard disk and us around 15 years old, works when i connect it

i dont have ssds that old to know how they work, buti would expect them to behave like usb flash drives or sd cards, they work well and all of a sudden they die

Unplugged. For example: HDD would be kept in an anti-static bag. 

that is how i kept one for years, still works, eventually will just die one day when you power it on, if we are talking about long term backups, this is not the way, dont put all your eggs in one basket

On 7/3/2019 at 2:26 PM, goto10 said:

that is how i kept one for years, still works, eventually will just die one day when you power it on, if we are talking about long term backups, this is not the way, dont put all your eggs in one basket

Nah, I keep multiple backups, but was just wondering how long a HDD could stay alive for (if not powered on) laying on a shelf in an anti-static bag.