HP Omen - Best External GPU

Hi Guys,

I have a HP Omen 15-dc0022na. I'm looking around at external GPU enclosures and it's really not clear whether the enclosures I've been looking at are compatible with the Omen.

The Razer Core X seems to be the best lead but I know they're pretty hit and miss as to whether they'll actually work with 3rd Party Brands.

Any recommendations guys?

Many thanks,

John

I might be misunderstanding you, but why do you think you need an eGPU? The model of laptop that you linked has a GTX 1070, which is still a pretty solid card today. Is there any specific reason you'll need an eGPU?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Anything faster than your current GPU will be hit HARD by the limitations of TB3.  Expect to lose ~30% performance compared to the same card in a desktop with a similar CPU.

2 hours ago, faintmonster said:

Hi Guys,

I have a HP Omen 15-dc0022na. I'm looking around at external GPU enclosures and it's really not clear whether the enclosures I've been looking at are compatible with the Omen.

The Razer Core X seems to be the best lead but I know they're pretty hit and miss as to whether they'll actually work with 3rd Party Brands.

Any recommendations guys?

Many thanks,

John

HP has their own omen accelerator egpu specifically for hp omen laptops 

14 hours ago, bellabichon said:

I might be misunderstanding you, but why do you think you need an eGPU? The model of laptop that you linked has a GTX 1070, which is still a pretty solid card today. Is there any specific reason you'll need an eGPU?

I'm just future proofing. Making sure I have a compatible GPU enclosure for when my laptop does start to chug in a couple years and the EGPU on the market at the time may not be compatible.

12 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

HP has their own omen accelerator egpu specifically for hp omen laptops 

They do, but it looks like they discontinued the hp omen accelerator earlier this year and they're so hard to find secondhand in the UK.

14 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Anything faster than your current GPU will be hit HARD by the limitations of TB3.  Expect to lose ~30% performance compared to the same card in a desktop with a similar CPU.

Good advice, I'll keep that in mind!

1 hour ago, faintmonster said:

Good advice, I'll keep that in mind!

TBH, this is why they discontinued these things.

TB3, for a GPU upgrade, only ever made sense for laptops without a dedicated GPU.  You could slap in a GTX 1060 or similar and hook it up to game at home and have a super light laptop with great battery life on the road.  Problem is that the docks/enclosures were WAY too expensive for the performance you could get out of them.  $300 for the enclosure, $250 for the GPU, and you have spent $550 to get the performance of a $200 desktop part.

TB3 is not really intended to be used to "upgrade" gaming laptops.