Borderlands 3 and the Epic Games Store

TL;DR - Why does the security seem so much worse on the Epic Games Store than through Steam or other launchers? How does the Epic Games Store bode for Borderlands 3 and its community?

Greetings!

I have been getting rather excited for the release of the next iteration of the Borderlands Series, but have been having some negative thoughts about the current standing of the Epic Games Store and its impact on security. Not to even go down the whole list of compiled data by multiple people on the problems with the Epic Games Store, I just stay worried on the current state of security for the launcher in general. I have siblings that use the Epic Games Store, and I personally have gotten emails about attempted logins on my account multiple times until I changed my password completely.

I realize that you can enable double authentication, and I have on most platforms, but it shouldn't be the case that you need to have double authentication enabled or your account will be at risk of getting hacked. I may not have used that secure of a password originally, but I have heard from many of my friends and other people that they commonly will receive emails about attempted logins for their accounts as well. What is the difference between the Epic Games Store and other launchers like Steam in regards to security that makes this a problem?

Moving onto the topic of Borderlands 3, how does this impact the community behind Borderlands? I know that the move from Steam to the EGS is going to be a rough one at the beginning, as shown by the review bombing of the prequels on Steam warranting Steam removing these reviews. Do you think that there is going to be enough enmity toward the EGS to hurt the community more than it has shown already? I personally believe that if there is a new Borderlands game, enough people are going to want to play it as soon as they can that they are just going to give in and buy it on the EGS.

Additionally, I am unsure how bug reporting works in the EGS, as I haven't touched it in quite a while it seems, but how will it impact the quality of life and changes/improvements that can be done to the game in general? I worry for the ability of the players to submit input for the game if there is not a sufficient way to do so. I think that Steam has really nailed it in regards to their current support and social hubs/forums, which are even available in-game through the overlay.

On a final note, how long is the EGS going to take to improve enough to actually rival Steam in a user-focused way, if at all it plans to do so?

7 hours ago, Churros said:

TL;DR - Why does the security seem so much worse on the Epic Games Store than through Steam or other launchers? How does the Epic Games Store bode for Borderlands 3 and its community?

Greetings!

I have been getting rather excited for the release of the next iteration of the Borderlands Series, but have been having some negative thoughts about the current standing of the Epic Games Store and its impact on security. Not to even go down the whole list of compiled data by multiple people on the problems with the Epic Games Store, I just stay worried on the current state of security for the launcher in general. I have siblings that use the Epic Games Store, and I personally have gotten emails about attempted logins on my account multiple times until I changed my password completely.

I realize that you can enable double authentication, and I have on most platforms, but it shouldn't be the case that you need to have double authentication enabled or your account will be at risk of getting hacked. I may not have used that secure of a password originally, but I have heard from many of my friends and other people that they commonly will receive emails about attempted logins for their accounts as well. What is the difference between the Epic Games Store and other launchers like Steam in regards to security that makes this a problem?

Moving onto the topic of Borderlands 3, how does this impact the community behind Borderlands? I know that the move from Steam to the EGS is going to be a rough one at the beginning, as shown by the review bombing of the prequels on Steam warranting Steam removing these reviews. Do you think that there is going to be enough enmity toward the EGS to hurt the community more than it has shown already? I personally believe that if there is a new Borderlands game, enough people are going to want to play it as soon as they can that they are just going to give in and buy it on the EGS.

Additionally, I am unsure how bug reporting works in the EGS, as I haven't touched it in quite a while it seems, but how will it impact the quality of life and changes/improvements that can be done to the game in general? I worry for the ability of the players to submit input for the game if there is not a sufficient way to do so. I think that Steam has really nailed it in regards to their current support and social hubs/forums, which are even available in-game through the overlay.

On a final note, how long is the EGS going to take to improve enough to actually rival Steam in a user-focused way, if at all it plans to do so?

I wouldn't be too worried about any of your concerns. Epic Games will make its store more secure as time goes on. Im sure that is already in the works. 

As far as impacting the Borderlands 3 community? I do not think it will have a large effect. Fortnite is still very high population if not the highest on PC right now. I am sure many of those players played one of the borderlands. 

I do think that the Epic Games store will effect indie titles that otherwise would have trouble getting attention through steam due to it being overcrowded.