Upgrading CPU

In the past my processor has held with what i used to do with gaming. But currently my computer has been struggling with holding up with demanding tasks like VR or new titles. So I've been looking into upgrading my processor but i don't know what i should look for or what is good, or what is even an upgrade. So the link bellow is what i have found that matches what i need but i can't tell if its worth the cost. If i could get some insight as too if the build is worth it that would be much appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BDk8cY

I'd reccomend a 9600k over the 6700k. I think 2 real cores will do better than 2 more threads.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $264.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $84.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock - Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $99.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $94.89 @ OutletPC
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $559.66
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $544.66
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-23 19:31 EDT-0400  

here is a general comparison. and buying a K SKU you really should OC, even if it is just a small one. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-9600K/3502vs4031

11 minutes ago, Labeled said:

I'd reccomend a 9600k over the 6700k. I think 2 real cores will do better than 2 more threads.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $264.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $84.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock - Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $99.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $94.89 @ OutletPC
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $559.66
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $544.66
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-23 19:31 EDT-0400  

here is a general comparison. and buying a K SKU you really should OC, even if it is just a small one. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-9600K/3502vs4031

Ok thank you but I have one question with the processor. Will it hold up with creating videos and streaming. I normally use OBS and to stream it take 10-20% CPU load.

12 minutes ago, Electabyss said:

Ok thank you but I have one question with the processor. Will it hold up with creating videos and streaming. I normally use OBS and to stream it take 10-20% CPU load.

The 9600 is fine for that, just cause its an i5 doesnt mean its underpowered.  Since you are still looking at 6th gen stuff, I'd imagine you haven't seen much of the new hardware, but newer stuff is very powerful and can do just as much as the i7s when it comes to productivity.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

2 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

The 9600 is fine for that, just cause its an i5 doesnt mean its underpowered.  Since you are still looking at 6th gen stuff, I'd imagine you haven't seen much of the new hardware, but newer stuff is very powerful and can do just as much as the i7s when it comes to productivity.

Thank you for the insight but im still unsure, i guess what i need is a bit of an explanation of the differences between generations and what they improved.

Main improvements are often in efficiency.  Meaning, you do get a boost in performance, but it does so with less power draw and heat.  My advice would be to figure out a budget and buy the best CPU that fits in it.  I'm a long time Intel fan, but it's hard to ignore the deals on Ryzen 7s right now.  If cores and threads are what you are after, in terms of content creation software, that's where you should go.  They also include some decent stock coolers (many models), so that saves cash as well.

5 minutes ago, DeaconFrost said:

Main improvements are often in efficiency.  Meaning, you do get a boost in performance, but it does so with less power draw and heat.  My advice would be to figure out a budget and buy the best CPU that fits in it.  I'm a long time Intel fan, but it's hard to ignore the deals on Ryzen 7s right now.  If cores and threads are what you are after, in terms of content creation software, that's where you should go.  They also include some decent stock coolers (many models), so that saves cash as well.

Wow i cant believe i did not look at the ryzen 7 i think that would fit really well thank you.

I upgraded from an i7-7700K to a Ryzen7 2700X...mainly because the pricing was so good at my local MicroCenter.  I'm using the stock cooler, and haven't regretted the decision.  I do everything from play games, rip/edit video, and run several VMs for learning Linux.

1 minute ago, DeaconFrost said:

I upgraded from an i7-7700K to a Ryzen7 2700X...mainly because the pricing was so good at my local MicroCenter.  I'm using the stock cooler, and haven't regretted the decision.  I do everything from play games, rip/edit video, and run several VMs for learning Linux.

ok that sounds close to what i do, the main reason why im even upgrading is because i play and record games like csgo, payday 2, and planing on 7 days to die but all of them run  smoothly until i get flash banged, or if my friend wanders to far away. It only happens when there is a tiny amount more of load.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:57 PM, Electabyss said:

ok that sounds close to what i do, the main reason why im even upgrading is because i play and record games like csgo, payday 2, and planing on 7 days to die but all of them run  smoothly until i get flash banged, or if my friend wanders to far away. It only happens when there is a tiny amount more of load.

Idk how to explain it, theyre just more efficient and the smaller die and run at a higher frequency in order to increase performance.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)