Severe Discrepancy Between BIOS & CAM/CPU Temps

I'm running an original Threadripper 1950X on a Taichi X399 MB. After rendering in After Effects, CAM reads 68-70C, however, when I restart to check my BIOS HW display, my CPU temp is 90C. This is concerning to say the least. In BIOS, everything is set to read temperature straight from the CPU. I'm more inclined to trust the direct readings from my BIOS, as opposed to CAM, so I'm just wondering, what could cause this discrepancy? Should I be trusting what my BIOS HW display information reads over what CAM is displaying? Also, some additional information, before I raised my CPU voltage preset to 1.225V, I had BIOS set to do everything in Auto mode, and my PC was acting like it was thermal throttling. For instance, shortly after starting an Ae render, CAM would show my CPU stuck at about 580Mhz, but fluctuating between 15-100% load. Additionally, the temp would be 68C, until I reset my voltage to @1.225V, and at present time, while rendering, my CPU is fluctuating between roughly 8-35% load, and holding fairly steady around 2800-3600Mhz in CAM, while my temps are reading 68-78C Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

Screenshot (10).png

52 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

I'm running an original Threadripper 1950X on a Taichi X399 MB. After rendering in After Effects, CAM reads 68-70C, however, when I restart to check my BIOS HW display, my CPU temp is 90C. This is concerning to say the least. In BIOS, everything is set to read temperature straight from the CPU. I'm more inclined to trust the direct readings from my BIOS, as opposed to CAM, so I'm just wondering, what could cause this discrepancy? Should I be trusting what my BIOS HW display information reads over what CAM is displaying? Also, some additional information, before I raised my CPU voltage preset to 1.225V, I had BIOS set to do everything in Auto mode, and my PC was acting like it was thermal throttling. For instance, shortly after starting an Ae render, CAM would show my CPU stuck at about 580Mhz, but fluctuating between 15-100% load. Additionally, the temp would be 68C, until I reset my voltage to @1.225V, and at present time, while rendering, my CPU is fluctuating between roughly 8-35% load, and holding fairly steady around 2800-3600Mhz in CAM, while my temps are reading 68-78C Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

CAM is crap, use HWinfo instead to verify all the readings https://www.hwinfo.com/

You should trust your BIOS more than software

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

CAM is crap, use HWinfo instead to verify all the readings https://www.hwinfo.com/

You should trust your BIOS more than software

Thank you for the reply, I'm gonna check out HWinfo right now, also FWIW, I'm currently using Ryzen Master to set up my overclocking profiles, and I'm getting pretty much the same readings as in CAM.

Actually no sorry, there's Tctl temp and Tdie temp, you can see those in HWinfo, from my understanding, Tctl is the temp between the die and the heatspreader, and Tdie is the actual CPU temp, you shouldn't pay attention to Tctl because it's offset +20C above Tdie, so that's probably why you're seeing 90C from the Debug Screen because it's assigned to read Tctl value, Tctl is mostly for Fan Curve purposes rather than an actual temperature number, so CAM is correct and Ryzen Master is correct.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

10 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X399 Taichi/index.asp#BIOS

According to this, a BIOS update will fix the "HW display" you're talking about, I didn't realize you were talking about the debug display, you can go into BIOS and check temperatures you know

Thank you for the reply, I'm currently running the latest BIOS update(3.50). Ya, I may have misunderstood some of your reply, but I already have been going into BIOS to check the temps, and like I mentioned, it's reading 90C after a 4K After Effects rendering.

6 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Actually no sorry, there's Tctl temp and Tdie temp, you can see those in HWinfo, from my understanding, Tctl is the temp between the die and the heatspreader, and Tdie is the actual CPU temp, you shouldn't pay attention to Tctl because it's offset +20C above Tdie, so that's probably why you're seeing 90C from the Debug Screen because it's assigned to read Tctl value, Tctl is mostly for Fan Curve purposes rather than an actual temperature number, so CAM is correct and Ryzen Master is correct.

Thank you for the reply, I'm going to go into BIOS and double check my settings, but I remember seeing the option for Tctl in some settings, however, I have set everything to read temps directly from the CPU, to the best of my knowledge. Also, thank you very much for reassuring me that CAM & Ryzen Master is to be trusted. After I'm done rendering, I'll go into BIOS and double check all my settings.