Fan configuration help

Salkio

hey all

i have a mini itx case which does not have an exhaust fan only 2 in the front. And my mobo only has 2 4pin fan connectors. 

1 is for my CPU fan

and the other is the sys fan. 

So i bought a y slitter which goes in the 4 pin sys fan and attached the CPU fan to the 4pin and the fan that the case came with to the 3 pin but it only uses 2 pins so i cant control the fan speed. 

I would like the CPU to do its own thing regarding the fan and speeds adjusted by the temp.

However the case fan to go max speed while gaming so it pushes the hot air from the GPU to the holes at the back of the case. 

Currently in bios i have CPU and sys fan controlled but only the CPU fan is doing what im telling it to do in the bios and not the case fan. Thing that i dont understand is that the CPU fan and the case fan are connected  to the same 4pin on the mobo. 

I have the kraken M22 

i7-9700k | GTX 980 | MSI z370i Pro Gaming Carbon AC | G.Skill 3000mhz | NZXT Kraken M22Metallic Gear Neo Mini

Your casefan probably does not support fan control. It just has one speed. So your cpu fan will respond to the control but your case fan does not have the pin for that.

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

54 minutes ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

Your casefan probably does not support fan control. It just has one speed. So your cpu fan will respond to the control but your case fan does not have the pin for that.

the case fan does have connectors for 3 pins but the phantecks y splitter thing had 1 4 pin and the other ons is also 4 pin but on the of pins are not there

i7-9700k | GTX 980 | MSI z370i Pro Gaming Carbon AC | G.Skill 3000mhz | NZXT Kraken M22Metallic Gear Neo Mini

On 4/17/2019 at 6:58 AM, Salkio said:

the case fan does have connectors for 3 pins but the phantecks y splitter thing had 1 4 pin and the other ons is also 4 pin but on the of pins are not there

The rpm pin is missing from all but one of the headers since rpm is only read from one of the connected fans. It's not needed for fan control. 

A 3pin fan doesn't have the built-in IC to modulate the incoming 12v pwm signal. You should be grouping 4pin and 2-3pin fans onto separate headers on the motherboard so you can use pwm and dc respectively. If you have to split them from the same header while maintaining fan control, you'll have to use dc instead of pwm. 

What motherboard are you using?

On 4/17/2019 at 6:58 AM, Salkio said:

All fans can be controlled. Fan control is dependent on the header you're powering the fan from and not the fan itself. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.