Gaming on a Virtual Machine?

I have an iMac, and I was curious if I could play windows games on it. I first started thinking of turning into a windows machine all together, but I was wondering if running a virtual machine inside of Mac OS would be possible to game with? Anyone have any experience with this?

You will run into problems and issues.  Your frame rate will be much much much lower then in Windows itself if it works that is.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Try using bootcamp instead.

Gaming thru virtualization like that (I have done it) leads to terrible performance like sub 20 FPS, even with all the 3D acceleration boxes checked.

Use Bootcamp.

Like Snipergod87 said, gaming in virtualization is terrible. The reason why is because the VM does not really have control over the GPU, so games in a VM can't really access the GPU1 for doing their 3D magic. Therefore, VirtualBox, QEMU, or whatever you're using for macOS, has to use the CPU to render everything manually and use a lot of virtualization tricks in order to do so. This leads to terrible performance, even worse than integrated graphics.

1 Yes, there's a way to give GPU access to VMs, it's called VFIO. It's an extremely deep rabbit hole that's mainly for Linux users anyways, I doubt Macs even have the hardware for it.