Explorer, settings extremely slow/unresponsive

MrTato

Hey!
So I have had this problem since installing windows on my PC. Often when I click on start menu, it opens, but I can't do anything (scroll through the programs etc.) because it just freezes upon opening. This goes on for a minute or so.

Same with settings, occasionally when I click on "sound" icon nothing happens for at least a minute, same with settings, I can open settings but in order to actually do something I have to wait for a long time for the settings to become responsive.

TL;DR Windows settings and explorer features extremely unresponsive on reasonably fast PC
Anyone experiencing similar issues? I have honestly no clue 
Specs
Samsung 970 Evo 512Gb NVMe SSD

Ryzen 6 2600 (non-overclocked)

Asus Strix 1070

16GB of Ballistix DDR4 RAM

Asus Prime B450-Plus Motherboard

Next time this happens I will try to get a video clip if that would help you!

Hey, check for updates, and check the %temp% folder if it's full let us know ;)

Zuccers :)))

%temp% has some 700MB worth of stuff in there.

This problem has been present for at least a couple of months, I have installed updates whenever they come.

I'll make sure to see if there is anything weird going on with disk usage whenever this happens again!

Just now, MrTato said:

%temp% has some 700MB worth of stuff in there.

This problem has been present for at least a couple of months, I have installed updates whenever they come.

I'll make sure to see if there is anything weird going on with disk usage whenever this happens again!

Hmm, if it's the disk usage at more than 80% that would be the problem, just open task manager and check the disk usage, let us know 

Also, about updates, some updates just fail to install, this has been an issue with different machines throughout the existence of windows 10. The update would download, then when restarting the system the circle animation thing with the text "restarting" or "Configuring update for Windows 10, don't turn off your computer" would just freeze, and refuse to progress any further. After an hour or so I would shut the PC down manually, then be greeted with the "We couldn't complete the updates" screen with next boot.

This has always been an issue, I have done several fresh installs of windows, and every single hardware component in my PC has changed since first encountering this.

The updates not installed are Feature update: 1803 and a couple of cumulative updates (KB4462939, KB4489723)

So the current version of Windows I am on is 1703

Just now, MrTato said:

Also, about updates, some updates just fail to install, this has been an issue with different machines throughout the existence of windows 10. The update would download, then when restarting the system the circle animation thing with the text "restarting" or "Configuring update for Windows 10, don't turn off your computer" would just freeze, and refuse to progress any further. After an hour or so I would shut the PC down manually, then be greeted with the "We couldn't complete the updates" screen with next boot.

This has always been an issue, I have done several fresh installs of windows, and every single hardware component in my PC has changed since first encountering this.

The updates not installed are Feature update: 1803 and a couple of cumulative updates (KB4462939, KB4489723)

This is an issue I spent hours upon hours trying to solve earlier but then just kinda gave up when nothing worked.

1 minute ago, MrTato said:

I reccomend downloading a new update (1809) ISO and install it, i had this problem, we did this thing with ms support :)

I'll try that when I have more time! Thank you for your (very quick) answers! 

You mean windows file explorer right?

Hope you dont mean Internet explorer as that browser is dead.

IE's not pinin'! 'IE's passed on! This Browser is no more! He has ceased to be! 'IE's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'IE's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'IE rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'IE'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'IE's off the twig! 'IE's kicked the bucket, 'IE's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-Browser!!

:D

Explorer.exe yes, not IE, I use Vivaldi.