Sudden high CPU temp

Finders

Hello guys, 

I'm having trouble troubleshooting a temperature issue on my system, i thought I might ask you guys for help since I've run out of options. 

My system specs

i7-8700k , 1.335v 4.9 ghz, delidded.

Maximus X hero

32 gb 4x8 vengeance LED PRO 3200mhz @ 1.4v , overclocked from 3000mhz.

Corsair h115i AIO, with 2 ML140 fans cooling it. 

corsair Crystal 570x, with 3 LL fans on the front and 1 LL 120mm fans at the back.

At first my PC just kept freezing, so after investigating I found that the CPU was sitting at 100C. So I took it out, and since it's a delidded 8700k I reapplied liquid metal, reapplied thermal paste, and carefully put everything back together. I did not glue the IHS back in, I just let it be "free". My problem is that despite doing this my CPU still hits 85-90 C under load. 

As soon as it hits 90C windows just crashes with the error "WHEA_hardware_incorrectable_error"

I tested the CPU to be perfectly stable  at 4.9 Ghz and 1.325v and at the time it never went past 74-75C under load.

What I did:

checked the AIO pump, fans.

I put some thermal probes in the case to check for re-circulating air, or the intake fans sucking in hot air but it's not the case. (intake at 20C-21, out measured at the aio RAD at 30-40 sometimes 45 C)

The cpu  is installed properly, checked a number of times. 

I have a ftw3 1080 ti, so i checked to see if it was overheating but no, she's sitting at 74C under load. 

At stock default settings it does not crash but it never boosts any of its core past 4.5 ghz and it stays at an unreasonable 80-85 C under load. 

It looks very much like a pump failure but i can hear it runnnig and there are no abnormal noises, changes in RPM or anything that suggests a failure.

Motherboard is 2 months new, as I had RMA'd the previous one when one of the ream slots died. 

The whole system has been formatted a week ago and before that, it never had any issues.

Please any suggestions are welcome, as I had absolutely no clue what's going on. 

Many thanks 

17 minutes ago, Finders said:

Hello guys, 

I'm having trouble troubleshooting a temperature issue on my system, i thought I might ask you guys for help since I've run out of options. 

My system specs

i7-8700k , 1.335v 4.9 ghz, delidded.

Maximus X hero

32 gb 4x8 vengeance LED PRO 3200mhz @ 1.4v , overclocked from 3000mhz.

Corsair h115i AIO, with 2 ML140 fans cooling it. 

corsair Crystal 570x, with 3 LL fans on the front and 1 LL 120mm fans at the back.

At first my PC just kept freezing, so after investigating I found that the CPU was sitting at 100C. So I took it out, and since it's a delidded 8700k I reapplied liquid metal, reapplied thermal paste, and carefully put everything back together. I did not glue the IHS back in, I just let it be "free". My problem is that despite doing this my CPU still hits 85-90 C under load. 

As soon as it hits 90C windows just crashes with the error "WHEA_hardware_incorrectable_error"

I tested the CPU to be perfectly stable  at 4.9 Ghz and 1.325v and at the time it never went past 74-75C under load.

What I did:

checked the AIO pump, fans.

I put some thermal probes in the case to check for re-circulating air, or the intake fans sucking in hot air but it's not the case. (intake at 20C-21, out measured at the aio RAD at 30-40 sometimes 45 C)

The cpu  is installed properly, checked a number of times. 

I have a ftw3 1080 ti, so i checked to see if it was overheating but no, she's sitting at 74C under load. 

At stock default settings it does not crash but it never boosts any of its core past 4.5 ghz and it stays at an unreasonable 80-85 C under load. 

It looks very much like a pump failure but i can hear it runnnig and there are no abnormal noises, changes in RPM or anything that suggests a failure.

Motherboard is 2 months new, as I had RMA'd the previous one when one of the ream slots died. 

The whole system has been formatted a week ago and before that, it never had any issues.

Please any suggestions are welcome, as I had absolutely no clue what's going on. 

Many thanks 

do you have a spare air cooler you could switch with your AIO cooler? if that fixes it, then your AIO is faulty.

If you have another test rig, try using your cpu in that test rig.

This must have been i very bad chip from the start, i would RMA it.

All this trouble for 200Mhz.....pfff

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

26 minutes ago, stixx310 said:

do you have a spare air cooler you could switch with your AIO cooler? if that fixes it, then your AIO is faulty.

If you have another test rig, try using your cpu in that test rig.

Unfortunately, I do not have any other test rig, nor any other cooler to test. I can assemble one of my old systems, a ryzen 1700x and a gigabyte gx370 gaming 5 to test the cooler but that's about it. 

I do feel the tubes getting worm on the AIO, and checking in ICUE everything looks normal, pump rpm, fans, ecc. 

Any other thing I can try? 

19 minutes ago, Constantin said:

This must have been i very bad chip from the start, i would RMA it.

All this trouble for 200Mhz.....pfff

Unfortunately, I cannot :( I delidded it. I tested it before doing that it was fine. 

And yes, it has never been a good chip. It seems stable at 5.0 Ghz but it's not. It also needs more voltage than other people on the Internet just to maintain the same frequencies.

You think it could be the chip going bad? 

5 hours ago, Finders said:

Unfortunately, I do not have any other test rig, nor any other cooler to test. I can assemble one of my old systems, a ryzen 1700x and a gigabyte gx370 gaming 5 to test the cooler but that's about it. 

I do feel the tubes getting worm on the AIO, and checking in ICUE everything looks normal, pump rpm, fans, ecc. 

Any other thing I can try? 

Unfortunately, I cannot :( I delidded it. I tested it before doing that it was fine. 

And yes, it has never been a good chip. It seems stable at 5.0 Ghz but it's not. It also needs more voltage than other people on the Internet just to maintain the same frequencies.

buy a cheap air cooler, maybe the intel stock cooler. shouldnt be more than 10 USD. that should help you diagnosing the problem atleast

6 hours ago, Finders said:

Yeah i think so, from the start!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.