Click and Smoke from the motherboard

Hi guys, 

I just repasted my MSI GS65 Stealth Thin, and when I powered it on I heard click sound (maybe tiny explosion) and a little bit of smoke came out from the place where heatpipes are located. Since the motherboard is upside down I could not properly see where the smoke is coming from. 

When I powered on my laptop it did not recognize the GTX 1060. Then I restarted it and it recognized it. Then I plugged it in and restarted it again and same story GTX is not there. Restarted again and it works fine. Did a stress test, seems to be stable. 

That smoke and click worries me a lot though, what could it be? And what are the risks of not taking any action now (opening up again and looking for what is wrong)? I laptop works fine now and sees the GTX. 

Thank you! 

I game... I edit... I work...

And yet there is no perfect laptop for all mentioned above in a small, thin and light form factor...

Are you able to examine the board? If you saw smoke and there was a potential explosion, burn marks should be easy to see.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 3/25/2019 at 12:50 AM, fasauceome said:

Are you able to examine the board? If you saw smoke and there was a potential explosion, burn marks should be easy to see.

Checked it... No burn marks at all... 

And yet there is no perfect laptop for all mentioned above in a small, thin and light form factor...

36 minutes ago, Musabayov said:

Checked it... No burn marks at all... 

Was it plugged in with the appropriate connectors?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Was it plugged in with the appropriate connectors?

Yes. I took it to the local repair store and they can't understand what is it. They said if something has exploded or burned itself, it simply wouldn't work. But this guy works after restart every time you boot it up. I already reinstalled Bios firmware and motherboard firmware, still the same thing... 

3 hours ago, Musabayov said:

Yes. I took it to the local repair store and they can't understand what is it. They said if something has exploded or burned itself, it simply wouldn't work. But this guy works after restart every time you boot it up. I already reinstalled Bios firmware and motherboard firmware, still the same thing... 

Did the repair shop check your system? or the graphics card as well, to see if it worked?

Primary PC:

13 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Did the repair shop check your system? or the graphics card as well, to see if it worked?

Yeah, they did. Everything is working fine,but once you restart it from the working state it's not. Then restart it again and it works fine again.