Overkill PC but still skips frames for some reason (2080Ti, 8700k, etc)

martin1592

Screenshot of what I'm talking aboout (DOOM): https://i.imgur.com/0Vq6lzV.jpg

If you look at the FPS graph, there are two skipped frames and FPS instantly goes down for a short period of time

This is happening on all games I play. It skips a frame followed by a frame rate decrease every few seconds.

It was happening more noticeably on Apex Legends and surprisingly enabling V-Sync on Triple Buffered fixed the issue for that specific game (locks FPS though)

Keep in mind that screenshot was taken while playing at 1080p... with a 2080Ti... it should run perfectly smoothly without any issue whatsoever.

I tried changing every single video option provided, resolution, nothing. The same happens in Battlefield 1, Tomb Raider, Sniper Elite 4, PUBG, I didn't try more games but I assume it happens in all of them.

I tried with two monitors, Acer Predator XB271HU A (1440p 144hz) and ASUS ROG PG27AQ (4k 60hz), both of them have G-Sync (I also tried disabling it).

I ran the 3DMark Time Spy Stress Test and it did not pass with a 96.7% Frame rate stability result. http://www.3dmark.com/tsst/440052

And a regular benchmark: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/34693931

I found more people with this issue, but I was unable to find a solution. 

Any help is appreciated!

Specs (nothing is overclocked): 

i7 8700k

2080Ti ROG Strix

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming

Samsung 960 Pro and 860

EVGA Supernova G650 G2

Windows 10 Education

Did you update to windows 2018 October update, and are your drivers up to date, and are your cpu clocks saying consistent?

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

12 hours ago, alatron978 said:

Did you update to windows 2018 October update, and are your drivers up to date, and are your cpu clocks saying consistent?

Yes, both are up to date.

The CPU seems to be working correctly. I had a 1080Ti previous to this card (upgraded it a few days ago) and it was working flawlessly as well.

I have the same exact issue upgraded from a 980TI with an 8700 to a 2080 ti and now i cant even hold stable fps in any game. Very annoying micro stutter and what seems to be frame skipping every few seconds. I have been searching for days for a fix and have not found one yet!

i7 8700

Evga 2080ti

z370 AORUS gaming 5

Samsung 970 evo

Evga supernova G2

Windows 7 pro

12 minutes ago, ubershens said:

I have the same exact issue upgraded from a 980TI with an 8700 to a 2080 ti and now i cant even hold stable fps in any game. Very annoying micro stutter and what seems to be frame skipping every few seconds. I have been searching for days for a fix and have not found one yet!

Let me know if you find a solution! I still havent figured out how to fix it.

10 hours ago, martin1592 said:

Yes, both are up to date.

The CPU seems to be working correctly. I had a 1080Ti previous to this card (upgraded it a few days ago) and it was working flawlessly as well.

Try reverting to a previous version of windows. The October update is garbage and might be causing this issue.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

Im not sure if windows is the issue. He has windows 10 and i have windows 7 with almost the exact same build and we are having the same problems. I have pretty much scoured the internet looking for a solution. I have even used every single pre existing driver avaliable to no avail. 

I'm going to do a clean install of Windows later today, I'm backing up games right now so I don't have to download everything again. I'll let you know if it works! I doubt it's related to Windows, I did the Windows update because I thought it was the previous version that was causing it, so it happens with both my current version and the previous one as well. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to try!

I already tried that. Three times haha. What i will do is revert down to a 770 and see if the problem is still there. I already tried a 1060 and still had the issue i am wondering if it is a 10x and 20x driver related issue. I will come back with my findings and let you know.

Installing the 770 and running the same test gave the same result. Microstuttering and hitching. I am at a lose i have tried about everything i could think of to do.

Reinstalling Windows did not fix the issue :(

1 hour ago, Robertshipley said:

Did you run DDU to completely uninstall the GPU Driver?  

Yes I did!