RGB fans with stuck LED's

Gareque
Go to solution Solved by Gareque,

I was able to sort it just now.  Basically figured it mist be a power issue as the LED's remained on when the PC was turned off.

So if anyone else has this problem, I powered down the PC, unplugged the PSU until all power was gone from the capacitors, then started it up again.  Works fine now.

Hey all,

So last week I bought myself a new PC and built it up, not a hitch to speak of really, other than a slightly hotter than I expected CPU.  So, I ordered myself a couple of new case fans to help out a little, no big deal right?

The newly installed ones work fine, connected them up to the controller no problems, but on booting back up, one of the 3 front fans has 1 LED stuck yellow and one stuck white.  Turning the colours off leaves these on, so guessing they are genuinely stuck.

They are cheap fans, being Sahara Pirate Turbo RGB, so I'm not about to send the case back to the manufacturor/supplier for the sake of a single £7 fan, but I do have 2 questions:

1 - Is it possible that this was caused because with it being cheap, it's an inferior controller and if it isn't drawing enough power (connected through a Molex, so not sure why it wouldn't), could this potentially cause LED's to get stuck, or would the LED's just fail to light up?

2 - Is there a way to fix the LED's that doesn't involve ripping the fan apart and soldering new LED's on?

Case: Sahara P35 RGB

Fans: Sahara Pirate Turbo RGB x6

Thanks in advance.

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

contact the business you purchased it from or buy another fan

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

I was able to sort it just now.  Basically figured it mist be a power issue as the LED's remained on when the PC was turned off.

So if anyone else has this problem, I powered down the PC, unplugged the PSU until all power was gone from the capacitors, then started it up again.  Works fine now.

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

• 5 months later...

I actually have a similar issue. I’ll have LEDs get stuck sometimes in the fans but not ALL of them. Some will continue to rotate or whatever they’re “told” to do by a small external remote. Even if I power them off from the remote, the stuck ones stay lit. However my situation sounds “slightly” different than the original post’s. When the PC is asleep or if I turn my PC off entirely (shutdown) all of the lights shut off. 

Also ONLY when shut down does it sorta “reset” the LEDs, and it’ll be ok for a while then go nuts again. Sometimes it’s within the same day, sometimes days later, sometimes even weeks later. But it always comes back. If woken up from sleep they’re still stuck the way they were prior. 

Would love if I could have it connected directly to the motherboard for control of the LEDs but I imagine that requires specific types that would fit the connection and be “designed” to be fully addressable by a motherboard instead of its own controls. 

Any advice/input on that? Still kinda new to this stuff so any feedback is appreciated immensely. Also doing some digging online myself while at work as time permits. It’s not an emergent issue by any means, just a nuisance is all. 

Apologies if my response was was too verbose/lengthy. 

Edited by Steeeeeve
Spelling error.