Cousins PC

Fasade
Go to solution Solved by Fasade,
2 hours ago, Fasade said:

Hello, I am trying to build a PC for my little cousin. He is not really into PC hardware and he wants it mainly for gaming.

I will go with Ryzen in order not to change anything major in the future and it's gonna be my first Ryzen build so I need some tips of what/if am doing wrong.

I remember that you had to patch bios on some Ryzen cpu/mobo and I don't want to go that way if possible.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400 (109€)

MOBO: Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 (83€)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (117€)

PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM650x (140mm)  (97,13)

Cooler/Case/Storage/GPU: (Will depend on remaining money)

Update: new things

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
MOBO: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro (rev. 1.0) (It was 20€ cheaper than Tomahawk)
RAM: G.Skill 16GB-3000MHz
PSU: Be Quiet Power 9 600W (It was the same price as the ones you guys suggested)
STORAGE: Crucial MX500 250GB, Barracuda 2TB cheapest 7200RPM from a "respectable" company
Case: Fractal Design Focus G
GPU: Gigabyte 1660 Ti Windforce (We don't have KFA2 here but the gigabyte was 20€ more)

Total Price: 891.14€ each coming from a different shop so the price will go down when I see which shop has more than one part of the build

EDIT: The budget us around 850-900 euros in Greece, the parts above are around 400€ and we are left with 400+ for cooler/case/storage/gpu.

EDIT2: change of plans.

57 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€158.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€107.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€71.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€69.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: KFA2 - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB (1-Click OC) Video Card  (€267.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€49.90 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€59.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €785.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-10 13:57 CET+0100

Not sure how pricing works in Europe, but I would do this.  Not sure of the quality of the PSU picked by the other person/this is a really good budget one, this case has better airflow, 16gbs is a tad overkill, liquid cooling is not needed as the stock cooler with this CPU is more than enough if you're not doing any OCing, this drive is probably more than enough, and the mobo will probably last you longer with upgrades due to the VRMs.  Could probably fit a meshify c over that one case I picked for better airflow if you desired and better management.

I don't know how to tag in order to see the new edit that I did on the starting post so this will do.

Hello, I am trying to build a PC for my little cousin. He is not really into PC hardware and he wants it mainly for gaming.

I will go with Ryzen in order not to change anything major in the future and it's gonna be my first Ryzen build so I need some tips of what/if am doing wrong.

I remember that you had to patch bios on some Ryzen cpu/mobo and I don't want to go that way if possible.

Specs:

PSU: Be Quiet Power 9 600W (It was the same price as the ones you guys suggested)
STORAGE: Crucial MX500 250GB, Barracuda 2TB cheapest 7200RPM from a "respectable" company
GPU: Gigabyte 1660 Ti Windforce (We don't have KFA2 here but the gigabyte was 20€ more)

Total Price: 891.14€ each coming from a different shop so the price will go down when I see which shop has more than one part of the build

EDIT: The budget us around 850-900 euros in Greece, the parts above are around 400€ and we are left with 400+ for cooler/case/storage/gpu.

Edited by Fasade

• Finished ? It'll never be finished. A battle isn't like some stupid argument. As long as someone's still breathing, the fight isn't over. Everyone who searches for power without exception searches for battle. Do you fight in order to become more powerful ? Or you want more power in order to fight ?

27 minutes ago, Fasade said:

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400

MOBO: Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3200MHz

PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM650x (140mm)

i think i can come up with something better. what's your budget, country and preferences?

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i think i can come up with something better. what's your budget, country and preferences?

Put budget/country in post.

• Finished ? It'll never be finished. A battle isn't like some stupid argument. As long as someone's still breathing, the fight isn't over. Everyone who searches for power without exception searches for battle. Do you fight in order to become more powerful ? Or you want more power in order to fight ?

18 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

That mobo's set bios would support that CPU without having to update.  It would need to be updated the bios if that were a B350 board and you were upping to a new gen, or if maybe you were planning to upgrade to a Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 series CPU.  So, with the combo you have selected you won't have to update anything.  I would suggest waiting if possible because Zen 2 is launching this summer and, if you're going with older parts, they will be decreasing more within 3-4 months.

Oh so it was about the old mobo with new cpu. Sadly they don't want to wait and I don't think that the kid will need something more than 8 cores for a long time.

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

OK i decided to go with the R5 2600. It's not gonna be OCed(I don't know if this cpu can be) and I will go water cool will a single rad work or it will need a dual ?

10 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€158.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€107.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€71.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€69.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: KFA2 - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB (1-Click OC) Video Card  (€267.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€59.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Not sure how pricing works in Europe, but I would do this.  Not sure of the quality of the PSU picked, this has better airflow, 16gbs is a tad overkill, liquid cooling is not needed as the stock cooler with this CPU is more than enough if you're not doing any OCing, this drive is probably more than enough, and the mobo will probably last you longer with upgrades due to the VRMs.  Could probably fit a meshify c over that one for better airflow if you desired and better management.

Hm .... nice then I'm gonna get a Hyper 212 evo and be done with it. Prices differ some we have cheaper and others are more expensive but I can mix and match.

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

No need the wraith with that CPU is on par with a 212 evo.

Lol stock cooler of AMD is on par with a 212 evo and Intel is removing stock coolers ..... in what world are we living in ?

Jokes aside, really on par with a 212 evo huh ? Nice for them.

23 minutes ago, Fasade said:

OK i decided to go with the R5 2600. It's not gonna be OCed(I don't know if this cpu can be) and I will go water cool will a single rad work or it will need a dual ?

why would you? the stock cooler is great for stock performance or even a small overclock (yes it can oc)

20 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Not sure of the quality of the PSU picked by the other person/

they're qualitywise about the same

21 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

16gbs is a tad overkill

still nice to have, it's getting more and more needed these days

22 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

and the mobo will probably last you longer with upgrades due to the VRMs

yeah, tomahawk and aorus pro/elite are great alternatives to the pro4

2 minutes ago, Fasade said:

Jokes aside, really on par with a 212 evo huh ? Nice for them.

it actually is. if you do want a aftermarket, i highly recommend looking into the arctic freezer 34 esports duo

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Ya, AMD went overkill with their stock CPUs for Ryzen.  Not all of them equal a 212 evo, but that one does.  You could spend extra money on better past than the cheap crap AMD puts on the cooler.  IC-Diamond or Kryonaut would drop temps more.

I have some Mx-4 from my RIG so its fine.

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:
27 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

16gbs is a tad overkill

still nice to have, it's getting more and more needed these days

At 3k Mhz 16gigs is cheaper than the 8gigs here "facepalm"

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

3000 or 3200?  3000 advertised should be able to hit 3200 off the default 2133, but it's not a promise.

3k advertised.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

That should be able to hit 3200 through xmp which is what I would try to hit.  Ryzen benefits from it.

I know that's why I was aiming for a 3000Mhz.

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Interesting, couldn't find reviews of that exact model.  True, it would still be in their budget.  And, I can agree to that the H7 is pretty good too not sure which is better between them.

it's around 3-4 degrees lower than a 33, if that makes sense to you

2 hours ago, Fasade said:

Specs:

57 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Not sure how pricing works in Europe, but I would do this.  Not sure of the quality of the PSU picked by the other person/this is a really good budget one, this case has better airflow, 16gbs is a tad overkill, liquid cooling is not needed as the stock cooler with this CPU is more than enough if you're not doing any OCing, this drive is probably more than enough, and the mobo will probably last you longer with upgrades due to the VRMs.  Could probably fit a meshify c over that one case I picked for better airflow if you desired and better management.

I don't know how to tag in order to see the new edit that I did on the starting post so this will do.

3 minutes ago, Fasade said:

random question, what about the pure power 11 at 500 watts?

4 minutes ago, Fasade said:

from a "respectable" company

Hitachi, Samsung (now Seagate), Toshiba, WD, Seagate, HGST (WD) would all be fine if you can find something cheaper

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

random question, what about the pure power 11 at 500 watts?

Hitachi, Samsung (now Seagate), Toshiba, WD, Seagate, HGST (WD) would all be fine if you can find something cheaper

15€ more expensive and the HDDs were about 2 euros difference.

Just now, Fasade said:

15€ more expensive and the HDDs were about 2 euros difference.

well, the pure power 11 is much better in quality, but the system power 9 would be enough

for the HDDs you can just get whatever you feel like, Seagate makes good ones from my experience

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

This is the VRM tier list which is important for upgrading over time.  Tomahawk = higher end mid-range.  The only Aorus Pro that is mid-range is the B450I Aorus Pro Wifi.  But, it's still a step-down.  It's up to you, but make sure you pick the right aorus pro.  The difference between low and high end midrange only super matters if you end up ocing.  Just make sure you aren't picking the low end aorus pro (wifi).

xda4pmf92pw11.png

I am not gonna OC it because I am not gonna use the PC at all. Thanks for the info though.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

xda4pmf92pw11.png

that's interesting... wanna work with a couple people on the motherboard tier list?

Well .... I'm gonna "mark as solved" now. Thanks guys for the tips and info see ya next time.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Maybe when I'm more awake.  I was sent that by another person on the LTT discord.  :D

oh, i have a personal discord with around 50 users from the forum, and we do projects like the build megathread, the psu tier list and the motherboard tier list already

and it's a project that will cost more than a couple days, so you're more than welcome