Creating new simple volume

Stellar Ray
Go to solution Solved by homeap5,
36 minutes ago, Stellar Ray said:

But why this didn't work?! I used the windows partition wizard before, never had such complications.

It's only small tool with limitations (some of them are made by purpose). That is why you can (and should) use better, 3rd party tools. You can, of course, complain instead, but this not resolve your problem.

Hello!

An unallocated partition was created after disc partition shrinking. While creating 'New simple volume' with new simple volume wizard, I get this 'basic to dynamic disc' message -

319831-BD-BC26-4-DB3-AA81-FFE756-EAA5-D8

Selecting 'yes' gives another message and the operation stops -

9-D8-C0-AA7-B0-D9-4-B26-B58-D-1640-C1-D5

What's causing this?

10 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Use MiniTool Partition Wizard for that.

But why this didn't work?! I used the windows partition wizard before, never had such complications.

36 minutes ago, Stellar Ray said:

It's only small tool with limitations (some of them are made by purpose). That is why you can (and should) use better, 3rd party tools. You can, of course, complain instead, but this not resolve your problem.

4 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Does MiniTool partition wizard free 11 support converting Primary to logical without data loss? 

6 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Try it. It's faster than asking questions. :)

c'mon knowing beforehand is better than losing important data afterwards! Have to be 100% positive.

5 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I installed it already, the thing is I installed the free 11 edition, and there are other tools like AOMEI, and it doesn't allow without data loss in free edition. So I was wondering if MiniTool is also like that. It'll be reassuring if anyone has converted with the free edition without data loss.

If there will be even small chance that your data will be lost, program inform you about that.

There is other method - connect any old hdd and make tests.

12 hours ago, homeap5 said:

If there will be even small chance that your data will be lost, program inform you about that.

There is other method - connect any old hdd and make tests.

It works, the files remain intact. Now looking for a safe solution to convert recovery partition, because it is 479 mb only. 

2 hours ago, Stellar Ray said:

It works, the files remain intact. Now looking for a safe solution to convert recovery partition, because it is 479 mb only. 

I really have no idea what program can do that. ;) That must be some kind of magic software.

But seriously - why do you want resize recovery partition anyway?

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I really have no idea what program can do that. ;) That must be some kind of magic software.

But seriously - why do you want resize recovery partition anyway?

Out of the four partitions i.e. C, recovery partition 1 & 2 and D, the recovery partitions are less than 500 mb in size. After dealing with the unallocated space, will just have to reconvert the recovery partition from logical to primary. Though, there is a problem since only 'adjacent partition' allows conversion, and there is another primary partition between rec part and unallocated.

031-D1051-C698-4786-9-F3-E-414-E0-AD1-C8

What if you move your G partition (Aurora) to the end of drive and then trying to resize your recovery partition?

Anyway, I have good test for you - MiniTool start working only when you press "Apply". Before that - every action is only simulation and queued for action (all changes are not made), so you can try to made few steps for tests and see if program allows you. Just don't press "Apply" or do not allow MiniTool to Apply changes if asks.

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

What if you move your G partition (Aurora) to the end of drive and then trying to resize your recovery partition?

Anyway, I have good test for you - MiniTool start working only when you press "Apply". Before that - every action is only simulation and queued for action (all changes are not made), so you can try to made few steps for tests and see if program allows you.

Sure, what do I have to do?

Just now, Stellar Ray said:

Sure, what do I have to do?

Everything you want, move partitions, resize them - it's only visual, nothing changes until you press "Apply" button.

If some operation is not possible - MiniTool will inform you about that.

Just now, homeap5 said:

Everything you want, move partitions, resize them - it's only visual, nothing changes until you press "Apply" button.

If some operation is not possible - MiniTool will inform you about that.

okay, I'll try to move Aurora

1 minute ago, Stellar Ray said:

okay, I'll try to move Aurora

It may take some time because you move it forward (if you decide to apply).

Or you can move it just on screen, do not apply, then try to resize/move partitions you want to resize. If MiniTool allows you - then it will work.

10 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

It may take some time because you move it forward (if you decide to apply).

Or you can move it just on screen, do not apply, then try to resize/move partitions you want to resize. If MiniTool allows you - then it will work.

Without applying this is what the arrangement looks like now after just sliding the partition from left to right in the 'Move/Resize' window. I guess it is safe to apply

27-F095-D1-C6-E8-4-ACB-BD62-359-EE3-EA81

7 minutes ago, Stellar Ray said:

Without applying this is what the arrangement looks like now after just sliding the partition from left to right in the 'Move/Resize' window. I guess it is safe to apply

27-F095-D1-C6-E8-4-ACB-BD62-359-EE3-EA81

You can made more that one action before Apply. So try to resize partition you want (that recovery) too etc.

okay, I moved the unallocated space all the way over to the left, next to the drive C (System boot part). And then resized the drive C, combined with the unallocated.

How's that?

rfv3.jpg

Shall I press the button? Or it will destroy the windows and turn it into mojave or something?

You can. Probably MiniTool tells you that you need restart (and made resize during boot). Do whatever MiniTool says. And be patient, it will take some time.

15 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

You can. Probably MiniTool tells you that you need restart (and made resize during boot). Do whatever MiniTool says. And be patient, it will take some time.

Didn't work, there was error codes 34 & 25 of some sort during bootup, went so fast. Things are unchanged. After making partition changes have to create simple volume first. It'll probably take time to convert, will have to do it at suitable time.