Help with Windows installation

Galeavia
Go to solution Solved by r2724r16,
4 minutes ago, Galeavia said:

what are my options?

Clone your OS from your HDD to your new SSD using Macrium Reflect. 

Or, link your Windows activation key to your Microsoft account, do a fresh install of W10 onto your new SSD, and login with that same Microsoft account.

Hello, I have bought an SSD in order to upgrade my mother's 5 years old laptop which is struggling with a HDD. I want to install windows 10 to this SSD. However, the windows 8 product code that came with the laptop is nowhere to be found, so I can't install w8 first than upgrade it to w10 and activate it. My mother upgraded this w8 laptop to w10 at some point in the past without being aware of it. And it's already activated original windows 10 on HDD. If I run a software to get the currently activated code, can I use that code to directly install w10 and activate it? If not, what are my options? Appreciate any ideas.

4 minutes ago, Galeavia said:

what are my options?

Or, link your Windows activation key to your Microsoft account, do a fresh install of W10 onto your new SSD, and login with that same Microsoft account.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Geography said:

Thank you, I'll do the second option. Have no experience with cloning OS.