How To Shop?

Hey guys! New to this forum!

I am looking to build a new PC. I know how to build them and everything, I just don't know how to shop for parts. For example, I'm looking to build a PC capable of 1080p gaming with VR ability (but not necessary), yet be able to do CAD software (I am a student and machinist), and be able to work with my wife's programming homework.

I have no idea what to look for when looking at products. I'm sure I want to go down the AMD route but I have no idea what works good with them. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

What is your budget? Are you thinking all new, all used, or a mix of both in terms of parts? What resolution and frame rate monitor will you be using?  Do you care how the PC looks or is functionality more important to you (do you want RGB and a clear side panel or is a solid side panel ok?)? 

My budget is looking to be $900 at most, however I do not plan on buying everything at once and may even go over that as I upgrade parts.

I'm thinking of using a mix of both used and new. I do electonic repairs on the side, mainly TV's so used is not a huge deal.

I do plan on using both a standard older monitor but also a 120fps 1080p tv I salvaged from the neighbors trash (needed a new power supply) as my main monitor. However, 60fps is the bare minimum I'll go as frame rates and 120fps for some games makes me a little sick. I have a case already. My father got me one, however I do not remember what kind it is, but it does not have a side view. It is full ATX though and has liquid cooling hookups. Rgb is not something I care about. I've soldered RGB strips and programmed then myself before. So if my wife wants that, I'll just do that myself. 

No WiFi card though. I Hardline everything I own that can be. I don't screw around with my data speed when I can. Everyone else I know keeps telling me to get a WiFi card and I don't think they understand how slow wifi is.