Looking for cpu recommendation

Im building a system with 16gb of ram, a gtx 1070 and planning on using a hyper 212 evo for the cpu cooler. 

Im planning on buying an i7 8700 because i dont want to mess with overclocking and my monitor is 1080p and i dont plan on going 4k. 

So my question is would i be able to go with a cheaper cpu and still have really good gaming performance and be fairly future proof? Or is the 8700 a good idea?

11 minutes ago, Swiggiti said:

Im building a system with 16gb of ram, a gtx 1070 and planning on using a hyper 212 evo for the cpu cooler. 

Im planning on buying an i7 8700 because i dont want to mess with overclocking and my monitor is 1080p and i dont plan on going 4k. 

So my question is would i be able to go with a cheaper cpu and still have really good gaming performance and be fairly future proof? Or is the 8700 a good idea?

it depends on what refresh rate you plan to game at, might be worth waiting a for AMDs CES announcement.

8 minutes ago, Swiggiti said:

planning on using a hyper 212 evo for the cpu cooler. 

Check the Cryorig H7, it's more worth it for the price, think sometimes it's cheaper too. It's sold out on many e retailers' sites though.

10 minutes ago, Swiggiti said:

So my question is would i be able to go with a cheaper cpu

The i5-8400 is still a beast at gaming. The Ryzen 5 2600 is a beast for it's price. I'd wait like 12 hours for AMD's CES keynote and wait for the reveal(hopefully) of Ryzen 3000, so that you can look at all your options then decide on the best one.

It might be better for you to state your budget and see other peoples' takes on a build within that budget, I've seen people aiming for a 1060 6GB on their budget when in reality they could have fit in a 1080 perfectly with no bottlenecks. 

20 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Check the Cryorig H7, it's more worth it for the price, think sometimes it's cheaper too. It's sold out on many e retailers' sites though.

The i5-8400 is still a beast at gaming. The Ryzen 5 2600 is a beast for it's price. I'd wait like 12 hours for AMD's CES keynote and wait for the reveal(hopefully) of Ryzen 3000, so that you can look at all your options then decide on the best one.

It might be better for you to state your budget and see other peoples' takes on a build within that budget, I've seen people aiming for a 1060 6GB on their budget when in reality they could have fit in a 1080 perfectly with no bottlenecks. 

Well im coming from a system with an i5 3570k(that i never overclocked), gtx 1050ti and 8gb of ddr3 ram. To me it seemed more logical to sell that computer and build up a new one.

This time i want a pc that can play most if not all the games i throw at it with pretty high settings above/around 100fps at 1080p.

My budget is: as good as i can get for as little as i can give.

Anyway what i still need to buy is a gpu, cpu, cpu cooler, motherboard, and psu with around $1300 CAD

Thanks

21 minutes ago, Swiggiti said:

Well im coming from a system with an i5 3570k(that i never overclocked), gtx 1050ti and 8gb of ddr3 ram. To me it seemed more logical to sell that computer and build up a new one.

This time i want a pc that can play most if not all the games i throw at it with pretty high settings above/around 100fps at 1080p.

My budget is: as good as i can get for as little as i can give.

Anyway what i still need to buy is a gpu, cpu, cpu cooler, motherboard, and psu with around $1300 CAD

Thanks

What case do you have currently? If it has bad airflow you might want to consider changing the case as well. Also, DDR3 is not compatible with modern CPUs. I'd also highly recommend you wait like 11 hours for AMD's announcement, their CPUs and GPUs are very promising, especially since they usually target the midrange audience who wants 'as good as they can get for as little as they can give' I made a rough part list for now just in case AMD are only making their new products available to buy in a few months or something.

Also, this cooler comes with a tube of thermal paste that is pretty high quality.

6 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

What case do you have currently? If it has bad airflow you might want to consider changing the case as well. Also, DDR3 is not compatible with modern CPUs. I'd also highly recommend you wait like 11 hours for AMD's announcement, their CPUs and GPUs are very promising, especially since they usually target the midrange audience who wants 'as good as they can get for as little as they can give' I made a rough part list for now just in case AMD are only making their new products available to buy in a few months or something.

Also, this cooler comes with a tube of thermal paste that is pretty high quality.

Sorry i guess i wasnt clear enough, i already sold my old system. I already bought the new case and ram (16gb 3000mhz) and i was just wondering about the rest. I have my own list on pcpartpicker and was just wondering if i could save money somewhere.

* Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

PRICE BREAKDOWN

Total: $1296.46

19 minutes ago, Swiggiti said:

Sorry i guess i wasnt clear enough, i already sold my old system. I already bought the new case and ram (16gb 3000mhz) and i was just wondering about the rest. I have my own list on pcpartpicker and was just wondering if i could save money somewhere.

Ah, so you have your case and RAM already. You absolutely do not need a Z370 for an i7-8700 since it is a locked processor. A B360 is sufficient. I'm also assuming you are keeping the storage from your previous PC. Investing into a cheap 120gb SSD for windows if you haven't already is one of the best ways to get your PC to run much faster.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $439.50 @ Vuugo
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler $44.99 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard ASRock - B360 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $102.50 @ Vuugo
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card $679.00 @ Powertop
Power Supply Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon Canada
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1365.98
  Mail-in rebates -$30.00
  Total $1335.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-09 00:15 EST-0500  

13 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Ah, so you have your case and RAM already. You absolutely do not need a Z370 for an i7-8700 since it is a locked processor. A B360 is sufficient. I'm also assuming you are keeping the storage from your previous PC. Investing into a cheap 120gb SSD for windows if you haven't already is one of the best ways to get your PC to run much faster.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $439.50 @ Vuugo
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler $44.99 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard ASRock - B360 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $102.50 @ Vuugo
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card $679.00 @ Powertop
Power Supply Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon Canada
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1365.98
  Mail-in rebates -$30.00
  Total $1335.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-09 00:15 EST-0500  

Ok well thats pretty close. Are the psu and motherboards you listed of lower quality than the ones i chose?

8 hours ago, Swiggiti said:

Ok well thats pretty close. Are the psu and motherboards you listed of lower quality than the ones i chose?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You don't need a Z370 motherboard for locked CPUs, those motherboards are only if you get a CPU which has a K at the end of it, which signifies it's overclockable.

This power supply is perfectly fine. According to the PSU tier list, the one you chose was tier 2 and the one I chose is tier 3. I've used it on a high-ish end build and it worked perfectly.

2 hours ago, _d0nut said:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You don't need a Z370 motherboard for locked CPUs, those motherboards are only if you get a CPU which has a K at the end of it, which signifies it's overclockable.

This power supply is perfectly fine. According to the PSU tier list, the one you chose was tier 2 and the one I chose is tier 3. I've used it on a high-ish end build and it worked perfectly.

Okay one last question (sorry). Would either of these coolers be a good purchase? Wouldnt mind having some rgb stuff:P Do you need a specific motherboard for rgb to work or do most work? 

Thanks

a34cda2e4fd2837ff90811e8395be84b.256p.jpg

PC-Canada
51XdFIoS4DL.jpg

Canada Computers

13 hours ago, Swiggiti said:

Okay one last question (sorry). Would either of these coolers be a good purchase? Wouldnt mind having some rgb stuff:P Do you need a specific motherboard for rgb to work or do most work? 

Thanks

a34cda2e4fd2837ff90811e8395be84b.256p.jpg

PC-Canada
51XdFIoS4DL.jpg

Canada Computers

The motherboard I linked doesn’t have the RGB headers needed to run RGB with both coolers. How many case fans do you have in the case?

I would steer clear of MSI motherboards.  If you have an issue and need to RMA they will not replace your motherboard with a new one they will replace it with a used refurbished one and if your MSI motherboard also ruins your RAM they will not replace the RAM their motherboard ruined.  The support I've had from MSI has been terrible.  They still haven't responded to my e-mails sent on the 3rd, 7th, 8th, and 9th of January asking for a new motherboard in return and asking them to replace the RAM modules their motherboard ruined while offering to send the RAM modules in so they can gather their own evidence and prove their motherboard ruined my RAM.  If they don't replace the RAM I'm never going to risk losing $150+ of RAM on an MSI motherboard again.   

If you are going to keep this computer for 5 - 7 years I would get the best you can afford.  The 8700K can be overclocked slightly for a 10% improvement with non-exotic cooling and will turbo up higher than the 8700 without overclocking.  It's a slight improvement over the 8700, but I don't think I've ever complained about my computer running too well before. 

I would spend more money on better components before I spent money on anything RGB.   I would save up and buy the 8700K and a bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:31 AM, Swiggiti said:

gettng the k one is still a better option imo beacuse you can use stuff like asus' auto oc and not really get your hands dirty. on the other hand you could get a cheaper mobo with the non k so ig its your choice between a the little more expensive k sku or the slower but cheper non k. Then there is ryzen too and i mean it may be wise to wait for zen 2 and see if either the price drops on older ryzen or you can get one of the new ones.