Computer randomly reboots

09wrussell

so, got a really weird one,

when I’m using my PC, the screen will suddenly go black and then the computer will boot up again.

I’ve checked the event logs, run stress tests, updated drivers, and swapped out or upgraded the majority of the parts of the PC over time, and nothing I’m doing seems to affect it or be causing it to happen, so can somebody give me some pointers on what to try next?

current build is:

AMD Ryzen 3 1200

Corsair H80 (usb control doesn’t seem to work, but CPU sits at sub 30°C normally and does not really increase when under load)

MSI B350 Tomahawk

WD Blue 240GB SSD

Samsung 1TB mechanical drive

Toshiba 600GB mechanical drive

Corsair CX450M PSU

Radeon HD6870 GPU

Corsair Obsidian 650D

and a Wi-Fi card (TP-link of some kind I think)

The only parts that have been in the system the whole time and haven’t been removed to check if they are causing it are the are the case (front IO has been checked), graphics card, CPU cooler, and Wi-Fi card, but none of them seem to be faulty

Any help would be appreciated

10 minutes ago, 09wrussell said:

the screen will suddenly go black and then the computer will boot up again.

How often does this happen?

A sudden reboot to me is tell-tale sign of a power drop. Could be power delivery issues. But if you can stress test, that would usually cause an internal fault, and it looks like that's not occurring.

Anyone turn on a vacuum or other high energy draw device when this occurs?

seems to happen pretty randomly, sometimes happening every few minutes, and then not happening for ages, although I have gone through two motherboards over the last 4 years, one confirmed as a burnt trace, so could be.

how would i go about diagnosing the faulty part?