Startup / boot acting wierd

Mgssniperwolf

Hello, I've been meaning to make a post about this for a long time but never got around to do so.

As the title implies, I have had some issues with my power button. But this problem is not limited to the case' power button. The same issue is revealing itself while using the MOBO power button as well.

The moment I press the power button case/MOBO my pc will "spool up" (red LEDs go on. fans starts spinning) then it "dies" / shuts back off. after clicking the power button MAAAAAAAAANY times. the pc finally starts and boots properly.

In general, while using the computer, there is no issue at all. I have tried to put the pc apart multiple times and I have not noticed anything being wrong with the wiring and everything is properly plugged in. 

However, a thought came to my mind: Could it be that my power supply is too weak and doesn't deliver the required "startup" power?

rig specs:

Asus ROG MAXIMUS VII RANGER socket-1150

Intel core i7-4470 3.50 GHz CPU

Coolermaster v8 CPU fan

16gb RAM  (2x HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 4GB and 2x Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600MHz 4GB)

Corsair CX750, 750W PSU

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB OEM (OS) (+ additional 1 hdd and 2x ssd)

ASUS PCE-AC68 AC1900 wireless adapter

ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Cerberus

I have not, and i am not going to do that either as that would clear out my bios and i do not feel confident doing so :P

Have you tried replacing the cmos battery? This sound like a motherboard issue.

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

Hmm i am going to read more about that now  and see before i do anything with the cmos as i do not want anything to go wrong with my bios xD

2 minutes ago, Mgssniperwolf said:

I have not, and i am not going to do that either as that would clear out my bios and i do not feel confident doing so :P

Clearing the cmos just resets the motherboard to factory default settings. There is essentially no risk in doing this.

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

4 minutes ago, Lemtea said:

Clearing the cmos just resets the motherboard to factory default settings. There is essentially no risk in doing this.

Allright. I just remember hearing something about that many years ago that removing it would clear out the bios or something. 

(deleted reply. reading answered my question) :P

allright i am going to try to do that then.

Just now, Mgssniperwolf said:

Allright. I just remember hearing something about that many years ago that removing it would clear out the bios or something. 

Anywho, How would a "dead" cmos or "dying" cmos affect the pc when i turn it on? i did some reading now and as i understood it only remembers the hardware settings of the computer?

So when a cmos battery is dead it essentially causes the motherboard to reset each time the pc is turned off. This then causes the motherboard to have to reidentify the installed hardware in the system on next boot as the information is cleared due to the cmos reset. Some motherboards during this process power cycle meaning they boot up for a few seconds then turn off, then turn back on and behave normally. As your system appears to be behaving in a similar way and is not a brand new build I suspect the cmos battery has gone flat causing this behaviour. 

PSU Tier List

1 minute ago, Lemtea said:

So when a cmos battery is dead it essentially causes the motherboard to reset each time the pc is turned off. This then causes the motherboard to have to reidentify the installed hardware in the system on next boot as the information is cleared due to the cmos reset. Some motherboards during this process power cycle meaning they boot up for a few seconds then turn off, then turn back on and behave normally. As your system appears to be behaving in a similar way and is not a brand new build I suspect the cmos battery has gone flat causing this behaviour. 

hmm, yes i can relate to what youre saying. but wouldnt that also cause the time on the pc to be forgotten and have to be re-entered every time (etc)

also the pc dies before it starts posting (just a couple milliseconds after pressing the power button)

Just now, Mgssniperwolf said:

hmm, yes i can relate to what youre saying. but wouldnt that also cause the time on the pc to be forgotten and have to be re-entered every time (etc)

also the pc dies before it starts posting (just a couple milliseconds after pressing the power button)

The time is normally reset once windows boots as the time is synchronised with the windows time servers and yes dying before posting is normally what happens when a motherboard power cycles. I have an old prebuilt that power cycles about three times before posting due to a dead cmos battery. 

PSU Tier List

1 minute ago, Lemtea said:

The time is normally reset once windows boots as the time is synchronised with the windows time servers and yes dying before posting is normally what happens when a motherboard power cycles. I have an old prebuilt that power cycles about three times before posting due to a dead cmos battery. 

ahh, i see. Thank you for being very informative :D look at that, i learned something new today aswell :D !!!!! cheers ! and happy new year !

1 minute ago, Mgssniperwolf said:

ahh, i see. Thank you for being very informative :D look at that, i learned something new today aswell :D !!!!! cheers ! and happy new year !

No problem, Happy new year to you too and welcome to the LTT forums. 

PSU Tier List