Upgrades for me

Galacticc

So I built my PC in I think early 2015, I picked out all the parts myself and was super excited that I could run the games I was playing at the time on 60-100+ fps. I upgraded my GPU later on thinking that it would singlehandedly bring my pc back to those frames on some harder to run games. I was right on some of it, It helped me get more frames but in Certain games like Rust, I still had so much trouble. I'm wanting to really upgrade my build so I can play games like Rust and not have trouble with more recent games. Here is my current partlist (EDIT; I have GTX 1060, the partlist does not show this), the only "upgrades" not listed is I recently ordered a 250gb ssd. I don't really have a fixed budget for any upgrades but I'd have to say no more than 375-ish. Any help is very appreciated. Thank you

5 minutes ago, Galacticc said:

375-ish.

By 375-ish I mean US$

Dont bother... Save for an entirely new system.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

GT 740? No wonder you're having issues with games. 

I'd go for something like a GTX 1050 Ti if you want to keep using your system for gaming.

Otherwise, I'd just save money for a new PC.

Just now, 1kv said:

GT 740? No wonder you're having issues with games. 

I'd go for something like a GTX 1050 Ti.

I'm sorry I didn't realize that I haven't updated my GPU in the partlist. I currently have a GTX 1060

1 minute ago, Galacticc said:

I'm sorry I didn't realize that I haven't updated my GPU in the partlist. I currently have a GTX 1060

Ohh, okay. A GTX 1060 should handle modern games pretty well, so I'm thinking it's your CPU. 

If you were to upgrade your CPU, I would suggest a Ryzen 5 2400G (or a Ryzen 5 2600 if it's in budget), a B450 motherboard and 8GB of DDR4 RAM. 

Just now, Galacticc said:

Check out this build: 

You can reuse your old storage, case, PSU, mouse, and keyboard. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, 1kv said:

Ohh, okay. A GTX 1060 should handle modern games pretty well, so I'm thinking it's your CPU. 

If you were to upgrade your CPU, I would suggest a Ryzen 5 2400G (or a Ryzen 5 2600 if it's in budget), a B450 motherboard and 8GB of DDR4 RAM. 

Yeah I'm pretty sure my CPU is causing me troubles. I'm just not too sure what I should go with, and I don't know if I need 8GB of DDR4 or if I should go up to 16.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $150.98 @ Newegg Business
Motherboard ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $63.88 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2800 Memory $94.99 @ Newegg Business
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $329.85
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $309.85
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-30 19:37 EST-0500  

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

Check out this build: 

You can reuse your old storage, case, PSU, mouse, and keyboard. 

Would the i5 be better than a Ryzen chip within the same price range?

3 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

-snip-

Dont need a CPU cooler, dont need a z370 mobo. 16gb of ram will be more helpful then both a cpu cooler AND a z370 motherboard.

4 minutes ago, Galacticc said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure my CPU is causing me troubles. I'm just not too sure what I should go with, and I don't know if I need 8GB of DDR4 or if I should go up to 16.

What about this? 

16GB of RAM is the ideal amount for gaming, but 9 times out of 10 8GB will suffice.

Forgot to mention, but of you want im pretty sure a r7 2700 will fit in your budget of 375usd. the 2600 is a good gaming chip.

Most games are recommending 16gb of ram, and with a 1060 and a r5 2600 you will slot into the "recommended" category.

Just now, Jrock said:

Dont need a CPU cooler, dont need a z370 mobo. 16gb of ram will be more helpful then both a cpu cooler AND a z370 motherboard.

Intel Stock cooler is hella loud, and the Z370 motherboard I added isn't expensive (but will allow for light overclocking if the OP decides to upgrade his/her CPU in the future). More RAM can easily be added in the future (and RAM prices are dropping) whereas a motherboard upgrade would be more difficult. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Jrock said:

Forgot to mention, but of you want im pretty sure a r7 2700 will fit in your budget of 375usd. the 2600 is a good gaming chip.

Nope, I only just got the 2600 to fit in that budget. For an R7 2700 you'd be looking at $249.99 rather than $150.98 for the 2600. Quite the price difference.

As you said, the 2600 is a great gaming chip so I doubt it won't matter too much anyway.

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

Intel Stock cooler is hella loud, and the Z370 motherboard I added isn't expensive (but will allow for light overclocking if the OP decides to upgrade his/her CPU in the future). More RAM can easily be added in the future (and RAM prices are dropping) whereas a motherboard upgrade would be more difficult. 

My work runs i5 8400's on 6 systems with stock coolers and i cant hear them at all. I agree with the motherboard argument, but it seems if OP were to NEED to upgrade again it would be simpler to purchase a new CPU because look at the market. Ryzen 3 will have a consumer like of 16 cores. There low end chips are gonna be 6 cores. in 4 years if op needs to put another $375 into his system i'm sure a 12 core can be had for the same price as these systems we're recommending.

2 minutes ago, Jrock said:

Most games are recommending 16gb of ram, and with a 1060 and a r5 2600 you will slot into the "recommended" category.

I think I'll be good with the 2600, do you know if recording games like Rust, or escape from tarkov would be difficult with this chip? Or is it just better for straight up playing the games?

1 minute ago, Galacticc said:

I think I'll be good with the 2600, do you know if recording games like Rust, or escape from tarkov would be difficult with this chip? Or is it just better for straight up playing the games?

If you're gonna record, id suggest going with a 2700. That would leave you with only 8GB of ram. So in that case i would take a minor IPC hit and go with a 1700. This build actually includes slightly faster ram then my last build.

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor $195.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $69.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $102.99 @ Newegg
  Total $368.87
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-30 19:49 EST-0500  

Oh and a slightly better motherboard.

My work runs i5 8400's on 6 systems with stock coolers and i cant hear them at all.

At idle, they're fine. But when running Cinebench on my i7 4770 with an Intel Stock cooler, my system is very loud. 

2 minutes ago, Jrock said:

Ryzen 3 will have a consumer like of 16 cores

That's a rumour, and probably bs. 

If you're gonna record, id suggest going with a 2700. That would leave you with only 8GB of ram. So in that case i would take a minor IPC hit and go with a 1700. This build actually includes slightly faster ram then my last build.

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor $195.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $69.99 @ B&H
  Total $368.87
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-30 19:49 EST-0500  

Oh and a slightly better motherboard.

I'm thinking I might go with your first list, the one with the 2600, as recording isn't really a priority for me.

3 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

At idle, they're fine. But when running Cinebench on my i7 4770 with an Intel Stock cooler, my system is very loud. 

That's a rumour, and probably bs. 

the 4770 has higher power draw specs. the 8400 has a different cooler.

as the rumors? i don't think they're fake. to compete with intels 8 core 16 thread they're gonna need to bump up to 16 core. Unless the IPC is as good as projected.

3 minutes ago, Galacticc said:

I'm thinking I might go with your first list, the one with the 2600, as recording isn't really a priority for me.

The memory on the first build i posted is only 2666MHz. Ryzen really likes fast memory like 3000MHz ram. If you can afford to, go with this system. It has the better motherboard, the faster ram and the r5 2600.

Recording with the 2600 vs 8400, the 2600 will have a significant advantage over the 8400 due to SMT.

Type Item Price
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $73.98 @ Newegg
  Total $327.95
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-30 19:57 EST-0500  

The memory on the first build i posted is only 2666MHz. Ryzen really likes fast memory like 3000MHz ram. If you can afford to, go with this system. It has the better motherboard, the faster ram and the r5 2600.

Recording with the 2600 vs 8400, the 2600 will have a significant advantage over the 8400 due to SMT.

Type Item Price
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $73.98 @ Newegg
  Total $327.95
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-30 19:57 EST-0500  

Okay I guess I'll go with this one, Thank you for all the help. :)

Just now, Galacticc said:

Okay I guess I'll go with this one, Thank you for all the help. :)

No problem. If you need anything else lemme know.